• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Oil coming from bottom of engine

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I was in route to my sister's for Christmas lunch, when at about half way there, ~75 miles from home, I pulled into a truck stop for a break. Had been driving it on the freeway at 70 MPH most of the way. Got back to the Scrambler and found a puddle of oil about the size of a dinner plate beneath the engine. There was also an oil steam leading up to the place I parked. Maybe a total of 1/2 a quart total. Looking under the vehicle I see the bottom is complete coated with oil and dripping from what looks like would be where the rear main seal would be located. Opening the hood I found oil above the filler cap. The radiator top hose was hot but the bottom hose was cold. The Scrambler was performing just fine prior to the stop but I was starting to spell what I thought was a rubber smell in the cab and part of the reason for the stop. The dip stick still read right at the full mark.

I was planning on doing some 4-wheeling over the break between Christmas and New Years around the area south of Tucson so my wife was in her car following me. Put all my stuff into her car and locked up the Jeep and left it at the truck stop. Some Christmas present! :mad: I was sure looking forward to the wheeling.

So now has happened?

Do I dare drive it?

What should I check or do to check it out?

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I personally won't drive a car that is spewing oil all over the road. I also won't drive a car that does not appear to be cooling properly.

Are you sure the coolant didn't mix in with the oil?

Last edited:

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
A sudden onslaught of oil like that make me think of the oil gauge sending tube, if you have a mechanical gauge. If that breaks, it'll sling oil all over everything.

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
Not driving it

I have an electric gauge but I check that when I get it home. Heading up with my Bro.-In-Law who has a duallie and car hauler. Taking it on home and then heading back to his house this evening. Well check it out later this week when I get back home after vacation.

Anymore ideas?

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
I had an oil leak that the PO could never locate and it turned out to be the vent hole on the mechanical fuel pump. It sprayed oil all over the engine comparment mainly on the right side.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Since you have the electric style oil pressure gauge, you might want to go ahead and check the electric oil pressure sending unit on the rear passenger side of the block (it is gold in color and cylinder shaped). I had a similar experience as you when I had one of mine go out in my '84 CJ7. I pulled up to the gas station and fueled up and as I was fueling it up, I noticed a slight trail of oil leading up to the Jeep and then to a large puddle directly under it. Turns out the oil pressure sending unit was spewing oil out of the stud area where the sending wire attached, making a huge mess of oil under the hood and under the Jeep.

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
No this is a more sever problem than the oil sending unit, which by the way on inspection is OK, no leaks. I think its a combination of a couple of problems showing at the same time.

1. Checked the PVC system. It seems to be functioning OK. Not clogged and is providing positive pressure.
2. Valve cover bolts were loose at the front of engine and were tightened. The thought was this was causing excessive oil coming from under the cover past the gasket.
3. On test runs around the neighborhood I found that oil was coming out the filler cap and running backward along the valve cover and due to the fan splashing oil all over the top side of the engine and on the underside of the hood. Over ten miles at high engine RPM's (alternating between 4000 for half a mile at a time, then half a mile at 2000) the engine was completely coated with oil but not enough to cause steams of oil from under the oil pan as was seen on my trip.
4. Letting the engine sit for 5-minutes I started to see rapid dripping coming from the bell housing just forward of the oil drain plug.

Conclusion: Main seal is shot! and the valve cover need torqued properly to eliminate the blow by.

I had enough and cleaned the engine with engine cleaner, filled the oil to the full level and headed to my mechanic to replace the rear engine seal. He will get to it some time this next week and tell me what I find.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
If the rear main is gone and leaking that badly. You might want to go ahead and replace the front seal and Oil Pan Gasket too.

That is unless you plan on an engine rebuild soon.

After a length of time all of the gaskets seem to get hard and start leaking.

Carl

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I thought my rear main was leaking but it turned out to be the valve cover leaking at the back and running down the back of the engine, seaping into the bell housing making it look like the rear main. Once I fixed the valve cover and cleaned it up, all was good.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
3. On test runs around the neighborhood I found that oil was coming out the filler cap and running backward along the valve cover and due to the fan splashing oil all over the top side of the engine and on the underside of the hood. Over ten miles at high engine RPM's (alternating between 4000 for half a mile at a time, then half a mile at 2000) the engine was completely coated with oil but not enough to cause steams of oil from under the oil pan as was seen on my trip.

Is it just me or does this sound like there's a blowby problem? How is that much oil getting past the filler cap?

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
Rear main seal shot! Need recommendation for clutch.

Just got off the phone with the shop (good friend of mine who owns a Volvo repair shop). He told me the rear main seal is blown. Pretty much what I expected. I also asked him to look at the transmission and clutch while they where out.

The clutch needs replaced. The throw-out bearing is badly warn and the pressure plate is very weak.

So do you guys have a recommendation on clutch components? Prices vary from $250 to $500 or more. What brands to avoid, or should I go more heavy duty than stock.

I just do moderate off-roading. Mostly 2.5 and 3 trails. About 1/2 the time on the pavement getting to the trails and 1/2 on long trips (2 or 3 days in length) on the trails doing expeditions. I have a 33-gallon gas tank and always have the rear full of equipment (never measured the load weight) but suspect this setup is hard on clutch. I have the t-5 and 4:10 gearing.

Thanks,
Jim