• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Opinion on the Warn M8000/5687

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Looking at a 1973 Warn winch. Manufactured by Bellview. I know very little about this model. Told it is the predecessor to 8274 without todays options. What is the general opinion.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The cable controls are cumbersome, and I don’t know if it has a free-spool.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
They are cool. Can be converted to solenoid control. Power in and out (no free spool). Parts support is low, so needs to be a good one. I like them on early Jeeps. Going rate here is $150-250.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Motor is bad that is all I know about it. 350$ is what he wants....overpriced (in my mind) by a few bucks.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
We had one on our FJ40 when I was a kid. We lived in Ward, Colorado and then Rock Springs, Wyoming so we used it a lot, and it was always there for us. You can see the photo of the controls from about 1974 or 1975. We still have the FJ40 in the family but we've replaced the winch with an 8274 precisely because of the lack of spare parts.

Attachments

• 20210701_230959.jpg
    20210701_230959.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210701_231022.jpg
    20210701_231022.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
  • ToadPearStreet.jpg
    ToadPearStreet.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 23

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I will be talking with him tomorrow. Dont think the price will move much so I will probably walk away saving some money. 8274's are rare around here for what ever the reason is. People keep em.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I think the Bellviews look great on flat fender jeeps. On an 8 I would save up/wait for an 8274. Better parts availability is the main reason. Free spooling an 8274 is more work (harder pull) than a newer style winch. Plus power out is near walking speed anyways.

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
For $350 I’d pass on it. They are a cool looking winch but if you actually plan on using a winch for winching, there are much better and safer options than an obsolete belleview.

The only reason I’d consider getting one is for a period correct restoration, but it would have to be in mint condition with all the working parts. The cable controls seems especially hard to find.