• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Opinions on engine

jeepfreak62

Basic User
City
Evans City
State
Pa
I just want to hear some opinions of what you think,I already know the technical pros and cons,just want to hear your thoughts
Im building a 82ish scrambler,aftermarket frame,glass body custom leaf suspension,44front/12bolt rear with 4.1 gears.mainly to look pretty and go fast
my engine choices are
1. AMC401 mated to a th400 and dana 300 (already have and set up)
2. Chevy 350 or 383 mated to a th400 and dana 300(already have and set up)
3.Chevy LS 6.0 w/trany or th400(Dont already have)
thanks,Dan aka jeepfreak62

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
1. Old technology with hard to find parts.....
2. Still old technology.....
3. New generation. Good horsepower while still making vacuum in the motor(driveability). Machined gasket surfaces(less leaks). Better cooling.

Jeepin

Legacy Registered User
City
Dexter
State
MI
1> Way cool (not everyone keeps the AMC in the AMC)
2. Affordable horsepower and you dont have to care if you blow it up
3. Again, there is a cool factor to a LS style motor, but the cost can outweigh the performance in a hurry.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am in the same battle with my self but in this order.
1.) AMC 258 with T5 and D300 (have but needs rebuild)
2.) Very warmed over 350 Chevy with 700r4 and D300 (have and running)
3.) start over with 5.3 Chevy and 4speed auto with D300 (do not have)

The part of the 3rd option that bothers me is the total cost. The 2nd option I already have everything from my doner and the 258 as well. I feel your pain as I have not made a decision in the last year of this build

Last edited:

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
I guess it depends on your build. Since my build was so far from original, sticking with a 304/360/401 was kinda pointless.
1. Hard(er) to find parts for than an SBC... and cost more
2. Hard to go wrong... just not exciting.
3. No opinion

On #2... while there's no doubt mysunnshine's right - the 350 is old tech, it doesn't have to look or drive like that. I took a freshly rebuild 1996 5.7 (using liters makes it sound newer) and added a First Fuel Injection TPI setup, the GM performance serpentine belt, etc. It looks great. Has ridiculous power and the best part... starts and purrs with the tap of the key.

DSC_0094.jpg

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
Jeepfreek go #1 There's just something way kooooool about a 401 Plus you already have.

Kane go #2 Great combination and you already have.

I am going 700R4 behind my "6" Love the idea of an overdrive and no computer.

401 plus 700R4 um? Can it be done?

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I guess it depends on your build. Since my build was so far from original, sticking with a 304/360/401 was kinda pointless.
1. Hard(er) to find parts for than an SBC... and cost more
2. Hard to go wrong... just not exciting.
3. No opinion

On #2... while there's no doubt mysunnshine's right - the 350 is old tech, it doesn't have to look or drive like that. I took a freshly rebuild 1996 5.7 (using liters makes it sound newer) and added a First Fuel Injection TPI setup, the GM performance serpentine belt, etc. It looks great. Has ridiculous power and the best part... starts and purrs with the tap of the key.

That TPI set up is nice. I check out their website and they sell a pretty complete kit. Did you buy the kit new?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
#1 Cool, yes, but there are better choices for a daily driver

#2 Been there, done that. Works but....

#3 Great performance, awesome driveability, and cost effective. I love my 5.3/4L60E/241OR

The only thing cooler would be a Hemi, but I think the LS swap still gives better performance dollar for dollar.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I agree completely with Randy.
LS is great. Performance, power, mileage, reliablility.

Sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Yeah... bought the complete kit new. Then the guys at ACC took it all apart and media blasted everything and powder coated it. The power and responsiveness is amazing - with 35s (SM-465, 4.56 gears), in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, if I stab the gas the tires will chirp. Seriously - 35 mph in 3rd gear and it'll bark the tires - no clutch. I've had Jeeps with more power (built, carb'ed 360) but no where near the throttle response. But yeah... It wasn't cheap.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I would go LS over Hemi even if cost was no object. Bought the wife a Hemi GC; and I love the jeep, but the Hemi can't hold a candle to the 5.3 and 6.0 LS motors. It makes beautiful sounds, and is uber smooth, but I'd take the LS any day!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
#1. If we wanted easy and sensible, we wouldn't be into Scramblers :headbang::bacon::smokin:

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I'm doing 401/727/dana 300 right now
Old AMC = Old 401

But, Chevy LS is cool too with new technology

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I get it that everyone thinks the good old small block is yesterday's news but it can be made cool with current tech just like Manhattan's Jeep. In my eyes old carbed 350s are all old hat but smack on a nice multiport or one of the Fast self learning injection kits with some nice new tech aluminum heads and you start to have a pretty sweet motor that with just about hang with the ls in performance and mileage. Just my .02 cents.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I get it that everyone thinks the good old small block is yesterday's news but it can be made cool with current tech just like Manhattan's Jeep. In my eyes old carbed 350s are all old hat but smack on a nice multiport or one of the Fast self learning injection kits with some nice new tech aluminum heads and you start to have a pretty sweet motor that with just about hang with the ls in performance and mileage. Just my .02 cents.

Yes but to make even 400hp out of a SBC, the camshaft selection is far enough off of the bottom that the motor will make low vacuum. That means that in 4L with an auto, you can't stand hard enough on the brake pedal to to stop it.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I'm running the Hemi in mine and couldn't be happier. I had the chevy 350, 4L60E set up and glad I changed. With a little "extra tuning" it's putting out right at 400 hp and verrrryy smooth. Mileage is good on the road and open highway (300 mile trip) gets 20 mpg with the 5 speed auto 545RFE. I put in a brake booster from a 1 ton Dodge and it stops beautifully.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
This is a funny thread. I like the fact that everyone is trying to be new and hip. And everyone is looking for the ease and comforts of new tech... But as everyone is saying "OLD" small blocks have been done... They are still tried and true with simple tech. and if you break down in the middle of the woods with a "OLD" small block 9 times out of 10 you can fix it with some simple hand tools. And with that being said "NEW" tech is nice... but if you break down some where (ex: trail, side of the road, BFE) 9 times out of 10 your going to need a tow truck...

On the same topic I laugh. Look at harley they have been around for how long? And other then the V-rod and bolt on fuel injection what have they really changed? and the point is tired and true basic tech that works... it's sad that we are using the same tech for the most part that was started 100 years ago +. you would like we would be flying around in space ships or floating cars like the jetsons. lol (don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge harley fan. They represent american made and they are far from it. but that is another thread.)

7jeeps7kings

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Nobody thinks twice about breaking down while driving cross country in their "newer" vehicle. They just jump in and flat-foot it across country. If you build your project correctly, the chances of breaking down catastrophically with a newer generation drive train is pretty slim in actuality. When shortcuts are taken or improper execution happens, then yea....Failure can and will happen.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
...but if you break down some where (ex: trail, side of the road, BFE) 9 times out of 10 your going to need a tow truck...

True words here. That is why I carry a long strap and recovery gear.:thumbsup: I do respect old school technology (still have some of those) but sometimes mixing the two is motivating and available.