• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Original Jeep CJ-8 full hard top??

myjeepneverruns

Basic User
City
Clearfield
State
ut
Just picked up a full length hard top. The seller told me it is an original (option) Jeep Scrambler hard top. Does anybody out there know if this was an option with purchase of the Scrambler? It is different from every other hard top I have seen. The rear window is much smaller. Any wisdom to help solve my curiosity would be awesome, I can' find any answers on the interweb!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I have never seen proof of an actual factory full hardtop. Post a picture of a side and the hatch and we could tell you what kind it is. I have owned 4 different full top, 3 brands and still have 2. The one I have looks to use a factory CJ7 hatch with a large window. I think the seller was misinformed or just plain lied to you. It could have been sold new with a full top but 99.9% sure it was a dealer add on.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
What barrys said. If it came on the Scrambler new, it was a dealer add on, from everything I have heard.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
When I bought mine new in 1982, there was no such thing as a full hard (or soft) top option. The Scrambler was sold as a pickup...period. It was a few years before I saw a full top...and then it was an aftermarket top. I'm 100% certain there was never a factory full top option on the Scrambler for any year (unless you worked for the post office in Alaska).

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
No such thing as a factory full hard top on a Scrambler sold in the US (other than the Alaskan Postal '8s)

The small rear windows are "classic" brand and are aftermarket.

Could have been a dealer add-on and thus to some people be "original" but it didn't come from the factory with it.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
ACME 1984 and 1985 Catalogs show hardtops for Scramblers. A dealer could have accessed a full hardtop then. I don't have any earlier literature on Scrambler hardtops.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
What they said. I looked for a factory full top for a while and came to the conclusion that it didn't happen. Dealer option is the closest you get.
There are tops labeled Classic that have a very skinny back window though.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My original owner 82 came from a dealership in California where the original half cab was discarded and a full fiberglass top installed, along with a matching upholstered rear seat and seat belts. All of that is long gone, but evidently there were full hardtops around in 82!

How it looked the day I brought it home-
stocklf.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Dad ordered his in late 84 and wanted a full length top and was told there was no such thing unless he wanted aftermarket.

He knew that a dealer would simply grab an aftermarket top and mark it up so he got the 1/2 top and planned on buying a full length top himself later.