• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Original Jeep CJ steering column used with an AW4 automatic transmission

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I am looking into another 4.0/AW4 drivetrain swap from a '93 Jeep Cherokee XJ, this time into one of my CJ7's. The Jeep this is drivetrain will be replacing has a 4.2 with the TF999 auto. The Jeep currently has a B&M floor mounted ratchet shifter, which I would like to replace with an original CJ auto steering column (shifter mounted on column) I already have so my wife can drive it (she has a hard time getting the floor mounted ratchet shifter into gear). Has anyone ever swapped the AW4 transmission over and used the OEM CJ automatic steering column to select the gears? There is the same number of shifter positions (P,R,N,OD,3,2-1) with the AW4 as the original auto equipped CJ's (P,R,N,D,2,1) since 1st and 2nd gears are in the same shift location on the AW4 so the one major variable I can think of is the length of throw each transmission requires between each gear. Ideally, I would like to do away with the original TF999 linkage and use some sort of cable shifter to eliminate any binding. Has anyone come across any combination of parts that will allow this to work?

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I haven't done it, but didn't the Comanche come with a column shift and a AW4?

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
You are correct, some of the Commanches and police package XJs had a column shift. It seems these columns can be pretty tough to find. I did see where I can still get the cable and cable bracket that mounts to the bell housing from Chrysler. All else fails I may try rigging something up with that.

I have been in contact with Lokar and Novak. Lokar has taken some measurements from me to see if any of there adjustable shift arms will fit the gear shift selector spline on the AW4. Novak didn't have anything that would work but did offer some good guidance on how to get this part machined. They also said if there was much interest in an adjustable shift arm for the AW4 they would consider making them. So if anyone is interested I would recommend sending them a quick email.

I am guessing I can make one of the Lokar column mounts and linkage portion work since the CJ columns are just basically GM parts. Something along the lines of using their GM column shift mount and their cable linkage. I would just need to figure out the arm still on the transmission end. I'm needing the transmission arm to be adjustable so I can set the proper ratio up so the indicator on the column will read correctly. Not sure if running their standard linkage will work as I'm afraid it could bind up or accidentally shift out of gear when the Jeep gets flexy. I'm still looking for options though if anyone has come up with a combination of parts that has worked for them!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The Jeep column is basically a GM column. You can get a GM column set up for an OD trans, and disassemble and swap the shift detention plate into the CJ column, giving you proper indexing for the column shifter.

scramblinman

Basic User
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
On that note, is there a direct swap GM automatic column for the '81-'86 CJ7 and CJ8? It's almost impossible to find a CJ automatic column with the tilt feature on it and there's lots of GM automatic/tilt columns out there for sale.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Pretty sure an Ididit cable would be the way to go. You'd have to do what Randyzzz said for the indexing, and get a properly marked little glass piece off of an OD equipped vehicle that goes on top of the column (if such a thing exists).

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I know its is personal preference but Lokar makes a ton of different floor shifters I think it would be easier to just change to better "fit" floor shifter. One that the wife can reach and work better. Check out a hot rod magazine they show more of them in those mags. I have decided to use one in the CJ 6 project with the shift indicator in the dash even. I used Speedway Motors to find what I wanted.

jeep1

Legacy Registered User
City
Panhandle
State
TX
JeepScrambler, did you ever figure out a way to make the OEM jeep auto column work for this. Soon to swap aw4 into my cj8 would like to use oem column. Any info from anybody would be great. Thanks

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I ended up swapping in a 360 V8 in front of the TF999 on this Jeep. I went with the Ididit column cable linkage (part # 2801750010) and the Lokar kickdown/throttle valve linkage (part # KD-2904HT) with the Lokar throttle cable bracket (part # SRK-4000) with an original tilt auto-shift column. The setup works great! I am building an '85 CJ8 that will have another automatic column and AW4. After using the Ididit and Lokar parts, I am confident I can get them to work with the AW4.

jeep1

Legacy Registered User
City
Panhandle
State
TX
|Thanks for answering. Still need to find a parts car for tranny and misc parts but will look at these parts u listed. If u get around to doing the 85 project please post on this thread, I've got it subscribed. I'll post if I get to mine sooner.

finorman

CJ-8 Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Along the same lines, here is my goal, original engine with an automatic with overdrive with column shift.

Could you tell me if I am able to accomplish the following... Join a 258 to a 700r4, with this Adapter with this Adapter[/URL] and to the Dana 300 with This adapter this Adapter then us this part "Shifter kit, Lokar, cable linkage, GM 2in Column shift, 6ft, aftermarket version Part #:ACA-1804 to attach the transmission to the column shifter.

Which steering column should I use? the Ididit columns are like $1000. Flaming River is a little better price wise. While I am told many columns will match up to the 700R, I am told the problem is they aren't just a drop into the CJ and require some fabrication. Where do I get the brake/gas pedal?

Any thought we be appreciated.