Ospho vs. Naval Jelly

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
We stock Naval Jelly here at work. We can order Ospho out of our warehouse, but have to order a full case to get it. We don't really need the extra product option on the shelves. Does Naval Jelly do a great job, as well?

I have never used anything comparable except POR-15 Metal Ready.

Please discuss.

Craig

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've never liked naval jelly after getting OSPHO. I think that the watery nature of OSPHO is a big plus to get in every little nook and the naval jelly never gave results with the obvious effect and speed I've seen with OSPHO.

I will never be without it again! :D

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Home Depot arround here stocks an Ospho knock off from Clean Strip.

I like the thin consistency of Ospho for shooting a nice stripped panel. For heavier rusted metal espically with pits I like the ability to brush on Naval Jell and let it sit. It seems to soak in better.

That being said I like to use muratic acid to clean up rust on the metal to start with.

Eddie a local Fab guy here has a big 6' tub of acid that he dips all of his tube stock prior to welding. Gives a nice clean surface. He is using Muratic in the tub and then after welding and clean up uses a product similar to Ospho but better. It is for commercial use only but I for get the name. Comes in a white gallon bottle with blue and orange lettering. Something like Rust Buster, or similar.

Carl

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Pickle-x 20 is the best stuff I have found for getting rid of surface rust. I use the Marhyde rust converter on frames and heavily rusted parts.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
So Grantshire you have tried the Picklex-20?

I was wondering how well it worked. Seemed expensive but if it does work then it might be just the thing to use between stripping a body panel and painting it.

Carl

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
CBRogers said:
So Grantshire you have tried the Picklex-20?

I was wondering how well it worked. Seemed expensive but if it does work then it might be just the thing to use between stripping a body panel and painting it.

Carl
Yes, I use it and it is the best stuff I have found. Great paint bond too.