out of state car purchase

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
I need the help from the experts here. I am looking at a car that is for sale in Missouri, and I live in Kansas. The issue is that the owner wants cash for the car, not any other form of payment like casheers check, etc. I believe that the seller is honest and I have no reason to believe that there is a problem with the title/registration of the car. Is there a good way to pay with cash and still protect myself from issues that could arise with the title. I believe that he just doesn't want to show any income from the sale. Any suggestions?

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Meet him at the local DMV and try to title it on the spot. You could also meet him at a police station. Just don't drive down his dirt road with the cash in your pocket.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Only wanting cash is completely understandable for safety sake on his side. A cashiers, bank, or personal check is just as easy to fake as the next one and it can take up to 6-months to find out it is a fake.

Have him provide the VIN number so you can check it with your DMV about it being stolen. Then check with MO DMV to see how it can be checked at the time of the sale. They may be willing to either run the VIN or send a LEO out to double check it for you.

Shame it is getting so questionable on buying/selling vehicle.

Don't forget, some states don't issue titles for older vehicles. Know GA has a 10 year limit.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
MO still issues titles for older vehicles. I just got my title for my '82 CJ-8. You should be able to check the VIN with the DMV.

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I did a bank to bank wire transfer. I was uncomfortable at first, but after a week of talking and the fact he was a member of a USAF credit union helped.