Over heating and tapping - a problem?

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
The engine sounds OK when firing up from cold. But after running a while I notice it sounds like an old Singer sewing machine tapping away. The frequency increases as the engine RPM increases. Checked the oil dip stick. I'm down about 1/3 on the level. Don't see anything out of normal.

I also have this condition as the engine starts from cold and warms to operating temperature, the temperature goes well past 190 (mid on gauge) and to about 230 (7/8 on the gauge) during the first 10 miles of driving. Then it slowly returns to about 205 where she settles in. It doesn't seem to matter if driving in town stop and go, or just straight 60 MPH freeway driving, acts the same.

I just got done putting in a new thermostat, new water pump, new hoses, new radiator cap, new coolant. The radiator is over 2 years old and I cleaned out its cooling fins. I now have the electric radiator fans but I really do not see any difference in cooling over the stock mechanical fan/shroud. Everything is running about the same as it did before all the improvements. Never a coolant leak and she doesn't boil over, just runs on the hot side. I guessing it is something in the engine.

I was thinking of doing a flush of the cooling system mainly to flush out the engine. Other than that, I am running out of things to try. Any suggestions?

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
What temperature is the thermostat that you installed rated to open on?

What grade oil are you running in the engine?

Thermostat may be rated to open at a high temperature and the oil mat be thinning out as it warms up.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You might also want to verify what temperature the water is going in and also going out of the radiator. That way you can see how efficient the radiator actually is-