• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Paint color from data tag

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
Well I posted this in Scramblings where I was talking about the jeep, but thought I'd put it here also to try to get an answer. Plan to paint my jeep when I start the restore (hopefully soon have the parts for the motor rebuild for the TJ now, just need to finish it so I can start the Scrambler). I don't like the current color but would like to find out what it was. Here's where I get confused. The orange looks stock, but depending on the source orange may or may not have been a stock color. The info that was from CJOffroad doesn't show it for 83, but several of the online paint places do. So I looked up the data tag and here it is.

20131113_220035a_zps3e168b77-1.jpg

The VIN on the data tag matches the VIN on the dash, and decodes as an 83 which is what it is titled as. However it looks like the paint code is 99 which doesn't match anything I've seen. Even looking at the trim code, it doesn't seem to match. So my question is WTF? do I have some kind of franken jeep? I am just confused and want to figure this out. Not that it will drive the color I choose, but I hate that I can't figure it out (must be the engineer in me).

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Well I posted this in Scramblings where I was talking about the jeep, but thought I'd put it here also to try to get an answer. Plan to paint my jeep when I start the restore (hopefully soon have the parts for the motor rebuild for the TJ now, just need to finish it so I can start the Scrambler). I don't like the current color but would like to find out what it was. Here's where I get confused. The orange looks stock, but depending on the source orange may or may not have been a stock color. The info that was from CJOffroad doesn't show it for 83, but several of the online paint places do. So I looked up the data tag and here it is.

The VIN on the data tag matches the VIN on the dash, and decodes as an 83 which is what it is titled as. However it looks like the paint code is 99 which doesn't match anything I've seen. Even looking at the trim code, it doesn't seem to match. So my question is WTF? do I have some kind of franken jeep? I am just confused and want to figure this out. Not that it will drive the color I choose, but I hate that I can't figure it out (must be the engineer in me).

That is odd. My 84 has paint code 4K (silver metallic from the table) and trim code 5EJ (nutmeg high back vinyl w/vertical stipes from the table).

I believe that paint code 99 is the code for custom color. Your trim code 6BA should be beige low back vinyl according to one of the tables I have (although the other chart does not list low back as an option).

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
It's my understanding that historically Jeep used "999" to indicate a special order and was typically used on older model jeeps pre 1980's. Perhaps trying to stick with the two character paint code they just used "99" as a paint code to indicate special order. Just a guess.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I believe forum member pav1 had the same situation on a 83 CJ 7 that was also orange and looking into it further i think it was a factory color from an older year that wasnt avail in 83 and it was special ordered. He will probably chime in with more info as to what the color was called but looks like you have a pretty rare Scrambler there color wise :thumbsup:

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
Thanks for all the input. Was wondering if it was custom, but had never seen anything about that online. Has high back black vinyl seats and dashpad right now so who knows what's going on. I bought it from a car dealer who said he got it from a professor from UT Martin who had restored it. Looks like paint is close to stock as it is orange under dash and inside engine bay and underneath. the "beauty" paint job is a little lighter but close.

Gonna ditch the orange though, living in N AL don't want to get confused with a UT fan ;)

I was interested in Jamacia Beige, but wife hated it. Looking at something close to the Sun Yellow from 82, maybe a little darker, Wife gave that an OK.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I am not an orange fan either, but you might have one of the only factory orange scramblers ever made. :eek: :bow: Still I'm with you and since its been repainted its a blank canvas with whatever you want to do.

Here is a sun yellow '82. Sun yellow is a nice color in my opinion cause its not even close to traditional yellow, it's more like mixing Jamaica beige and yellow together.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387376621.818533.jpg

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
One of our club members has an original orange paint "Special order" 1983 Scrambler with black high back seats. I think his uncle ordered it at Western Hills Jeep in Cincinnati. The Scrambler doesn't see the light of day, or the dark od of night for that matter, very often but if ya'll need me to I can see if I can get into 'The Vault" and take a peek at the trim tag. The last time I saw it 2 or 3 years ago, it had just over 16,000 miles om it. :wave:

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
Well here's a pic of mine. Would like to see the one Mr. Beep knows about also.

When we picked it up in 05:
2005_0704_102725AA_zps36f2236b-1.jpg

What it looks like now:
20131026_104842_zps91936d29-1.jpg

Here you can see the delta between the original color and what it is now.
20131027_141107_zpsc13fb230-1.jpg

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
I am not an orange fan either, but you might have one of the only factory orange scramblers ever made. :eek: :bow: Still I'm with you and since its been repainted its a blank canvas with whatever you want to do.

Here is a sun yellow '82. Sun yellow is a nice color in my opinion cause its not even close to traditional yellow, it's more like mixing Jamaica beige and yellow together.

Yep, like that. Might end up just a tad darker. Depends on the paint my brother can get without spending big bucks on a custom color. That's even the stripe package I like, my brother thinks we can paint the stripes, not sure if I'll do that yet or hold off and get the kit later. Thinking about stripping my m716 trailer and painting it to match.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
Yep mine was an 83, california special order....but it had the paint code 7Z "sun orange".

They where a promotion jeep 83 only sent to the California dealerships.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
Almost forgot.....that's original paint on it :)

(wish the edit button worked for me)

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
It will be a bit before I can get any photos of the Orange '83 Scrambler. My friend just lost his mom to cancer.

whitehat

City
Cooksville
State
IL

I know a guy that has the same paint and trim code.... and the seq# is J271424.....maybe these were built for someplace and they ordered a few with a custom color