• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Paint or Powder coat rocker guards????

brokejeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Clearfield
State
ut
My wife purchased me a set of poison spyder rocker knockers for the eternal project of a cj8 I am working on. My question for all the lords of jeep is this: Powder coat or paint??? opinions and experiences please....
I am thinking that paint would be much cheaper and easy to touch up. Powder coat is more expensive but could be less maintenance down the road. thanks in advance.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I like powder coat!!
3e9yhaga-1.jpg

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
The issue I've had with powdercoat in the past is that once you get some scratches through the coating it can all start to flake off. My Poison Spyder crusher corners on my TJ flaked terribly. Powder coating isn't what it used to be thanks to EPA requirements. I'd do paint for that reason and like you mentioned, easy to touch up.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I'm planning on using implement paint (Majic from Tractor Supply with Hardener to be exact.) for my rockers, rollbar, and bumpers.

It's pretty stout with the hardener.

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
I think it comes down to use... if the Jeep gets used off-road, and you're expecting to see those sliders actually sliding across rocks - go with paint. They'll be very easy to touch up. And, you won't mind a bit when they're leaving black stripes on the rocks.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've had to have my rear flares recoated twice because of rock chips causing the powder coat to peel.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'm using rattle can Rust-Oleum Hammerite on my sliders for the same reasons mentioned above.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Use a Bed Liner. They are easy to use if you have an air compressor. Like paint or anything else it will scrape off on the rocks but does not chip like paint or powder coat. It can also be touched up as well. I have used Duplicolor for mine on the Scrambler (there is a thread on here some where with pictures). If you don't have a compressor the Duplicolor comes in spray cans as well (bought at AutoZone).

There are others out there. Some are, Upol Raptor and USC Defender Pro. All 3 can be done with an undercoating gun and air compressor. The last two sell a kit with the gun included. Upol sells a clear that can be tinted to match a color and black, Defender Pro (Black) is paintable over it .

A friend of mine used the Defender Pro (black) to line his tube inside and underneath, rocker guards and painted over it (I do not know how well the paint over will hold up to chipping he has not had it done long enough to know yet), inside and underneath the front inner fenders. Sprayed on real easy, with about the same effort as it took me to use the Duplicolor, but I had to go buy a undercoating gun Kit ( under $30) to do mine as I just bought the qt cans, not sure if Duplicolor sells a kit with the gun or not.