• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Paint restoration

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
What are you guys doing to restore the paint on a vehicle that has been neglected for a long time? We have a young clean up/parts runner at the shop now and he just acquired an early C10 that he's going to start working on and it looks like the paint may clean up.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Elbow grease. lots and lots of elbow grease.:wave:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR

There was a guy who used glaze, polishing compound, and a clay bar who had a long and very unnecessarily wordy youtube series, but I can't find them now. A bit annoying but he knew what he was doing and the results looked great.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
This is the info that I used to bring back the paint on my 83';
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html
This is for single stage paint only. My paint was HEAVILY oxidized and previously over compounded/buffed, and this process brought back the deep red color to my Jeep. I'll post a couple pics in a new thread when I get some more time. What's great about this process is it will not degrade the paint further, only enhance it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I was going to suggest autogeek too. Someday I'm going to properly attack the paint on Mater and I'd started watching some of their videos back when I first got it. Never did anything about it though.

Interested to see what he tries and how it works.