barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Got a raw steel bumper to paint. Just going to use black spray paint. Do you guys use primer first or just paint. Just using black Rustoleum. My days from autobody school say use primer. Many paints say use primer for better adhesion. I am not using hammer finish stuff even though people here love it.
Figured I would spray it with brake cleaner and then wipe with denatured alcohol. Then primer and or paint.
What say you guys?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'm a believer in epoxy based primer especailly for something like a bumper that can take some abuse. I'd media blast first if possible.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
My blaster is at work and I want to paint it tomorrow. Its not gonna get beat on rocks, at least while I own it.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Bumpers tend to bump stuff (or get stepped on). My concern would be road gravel kicked up by traffic (or my own tires) as much as scrapeing on boulders. Cutting corners because I'm in a hurry usually seems to bite me in the behind eventually. YMMV.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I vote primer first. Many can be top coated within an hour. You can easily do 2 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint in an afternoon.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Jeep isn't perfect so. Bumper doesn't need to be painted show quality for the long haul. I guess this kinda sounds half ashed huh. I just don't want it to flake off. Last time I tried the hammered finish, it peeled right off of primed metal that was blasted. I have NO idea what prep was done wrong as I went to school for autobody(not just high school vo-tech).

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Jeep isn't perfect so. Bumper doesn't need to be painted show quality for the long haul. I guess this kinda sounds half ashed huh. I just don't want it to flake off. Last time I tried the hammered finish, it peeled right off of primed metal that was blasted. I have NO idea what prep was done wrong as I went to school for autobody(not just high school vo-tech).
Eh, it'll scratch off way before it flakes. I spent a lot of time primering and painting some odds and ends, and it was only a matter of minutes before they were all scratched up when I mocked them up.