• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Painting my half cab

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
Hello,

I just purchased a used half cab for my 8 and Im going to do some body work and paint it. Someone painted it smooth gloss black, and I don't like it. I want to know the best way to get as close as possible to factory finish. To be honest, I've never seen a half cab up-close in person. I am clueless.

Thanks.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Mine was relatively smooth, but was a matt black finish (pretty sure it was original).

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Is there an actual paint color and sheen that the factory spec'd?

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
Looked into the 3m product, I saw another forum talking about it as well. It still needs to be top coated, which still leaves me wondering what the best matte or semigloss finish would be. Im also afraid to experiment with it at $35-$40 a bottle.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Gel coat sprayed with heavy texture. I am not sure what the product name is but I believe it is 3M. Did a 7 top with a matte finish.Have to have a gelcoat spray gun.

jmarston

Basic User
City
G
State
FL
Looked into the 3m product, I saw another forum talking about it as well. It still needs to be top coated, which still leaves me wondering what the best matte or semigloss finish would be. Im also afraid to experiment with it at $35-$40 a bottle.

I think semigloss finish is a better choice. Matte finish is good also but a bit PITA to keep clean.