Painting the 8

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
I have been cruz n the forums for some time asking ? looking for the golden ticket and now it is my turn to put up or shut up. I have been puting together my 8 for about a year but.......... "money keeps the snail happy"............ Here are a few pictures of todays fun. Oh yeah, my first time ever painting so be nice, TCP global single stage urethane and a $9.95 Harbor Frieght gravity feed gun.

it might be a pewter metallic jeep for me but they want PINK

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks good from here...you're a brave man to try your own paint. I tried, and discovered that it's not my cup of tea...

B

bigred1969

I am about to tackle my own paint job shortly, first time for me too. It looks like you were painting in your garage, did you have alot of fumes or smell in the house? My wife is really sensitive to paint fumes, I wouldn't hear the end of it for months if the whole house smells like a paint shop.
Any other advice from your experience with the paint?
I am leaning toward Eastwood paint, but am going to check with local paint shop on what they have.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Paint fumes...

Hand the wife a ticket for a 2 week cruise ship vacation and you can paint in the living room while watching tv and drinking beer with the ac on!:eek:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
No real bad fumes, and none in the house. I left the garage door open about 2 foot when I sprayed and then opened it most of the way between coats. Also I took a spray bottle of water and mist the floor and just about everything else down. My sandles where sticking to the floor (yeap I painted my feet:eek:) I am not the smartest of people, and only used a M95 medical mask when I was painting and it seemed to work just fine, I did not get light headed, crazy or nothing. I would spray a coat(about 10oz mixed) open the door wait about 15 min and then sprayed another. I was not worried about oversray either, I just took the things out of the garage that I did not want painted and said screw the rest. Yes, all the rest does have some degree of overspray on it. I am finished with the whole jeep now and starting to put everything back together. I will have more pics up this weekend. good luck with your paint job, it really is not that hard. As for advice painting, I think just follow the mixing instructions and dont try to cover it all in one coat, mutiple thin coats is how I did it, only mixing 8oz of paint at a time. My first and second coat I could still see the primer quiet a bit but after the 3rd I had full coverage( 4"ish" total coats). I used my drip pan for a practice panel and did not touch the settings after I got it right but checked my pattern before I started each coat. Chip Foose would probably not give me a job painting, but I have exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
B

bigred1969

I really like the color, used to have a truck that color. Can't wait to see it put back together. I will start a thread to cover my paint and build very shortly. Thanks for the advice.

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Painting is done. now time for raptor liner!

Here are a few progress pics. I decided to paint the headlight rings, rollbar, sliders, and misc other things with rustoleum hammered black (more like charcol). I added synthetic enamel hardner 8:1 to try and make it more durable. The pictures really do not do justice. The metallic flake really pops in the sun.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That just looks awesome. These kinds of threads always make me feel bad for ignoring the rust on the postal's body :banghead:

How'd you prep the headlight trim rings before painting them?

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
320 grit. etching primer from wally world and then rolled them with the rustoleum. Turnerd out great. I have done the roll bar as well and for what it is, I am 100% pleased. here are a few more pics that show a little more detail/contrast of the hammered.

hopefully I will be spraying the Raptor liner on Sat. or Sun.:thumbsup:

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Phase 2 "Raptor liner"

I could have spent more time with the prep, but........This stuff rocks. i would suggest buying an extra bottle If you plan to do the bulkhead like I did. I had enough but could have used a bit more for a few areas.
before I hit some of the surface rust areas with POR 15, then sanded with 60 grit and cleaned with thinner. I could have sanded for days but decided to go for it.

1st coat I used 2 bottles waited 60 min for flash per directions and then appied the other 2 bottles.
here is after the 1st coat

and the result

All finished still a little wet

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:drool:

I so want to rework a tub for mine when I see shots like this... man that's purdy. :bow:

littleturner76

Legacy Registered User
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Painting is all finished

Finally got the top and half doors painted, and hood decals on. Now time to finish the exhaust and hopefully drive it someday.

Last edited:

cchambers

Legacy Registered User
City
Sioux Falls
State
SD
Great job! I hope that my 8 turns out half as nice. I do want to paint in my 8 in the garage.

Once I get all the running gear up graded.