• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Parking lights stay on

jim krikit

CJ-8 Member
City
key largo
State
fl
I have a problem with the parking lights staying on. I have to disconnect the battery for them to go off. I have a new light switch coming, but wondering if this is a problem seen before. Also need to replace turn signal switch in steering column. Is there any correlation?

Thanks J. K.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
What are the turn signals/turn signal switch doing/not doing?

Maybe you're seeing a faulty turn signal switch putting both turn signal lights on and it's not parking lights?

Hazzard flasher work?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have a problem with the parking lights staying on. I have to disconnect the battery for them to go off. I have a new light switch coming, but wondering if this is a problem seen before. Also need to replace turn signal switch in steering column. Is there any correlation?

Thanks J. K.

Some more info would be helpful.
There are a few simple tests you can do to help narrow down the possible causes.

1) The turn signals are a 15a fuse and only powered when the ignition is "ON" or "ACC"
2) The park and hazard lights have individual 20a fuses, and are always powered.
3) The turn and hazard circuits have individual relays.

There is really no set order of testing I can give you without knowing more of the symptoms.
However, if you pull the fuses for the turn signals and the hazards, ignition key to"OFF" or removed, and ALL the lights (front and rear side markers as well as lights in the grill and tail lights) are still on that would pretty much point you to the parking lights as you stated.

If they go out then individually removing fuses/relays for turn and/or hazards will help if you need to go in that direction.

As BW asked, what are the symptoms you're having with the turn signals/switch?

jim krikit

CJ-8 Member
City
key largo
State
fl
Well, I went by my neighbor and he nailed it, said " faulty brake light switch".
I'll post a vid. Pull the Break pedal pack so it releases the brake petal switch and lights go off

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It was only the rear lights?

There's adjustment built into the mount for that switch in the mount, may be as simple as backing it out a little bit and maybe the locknut is loose. It's a massive PITA to reach up to where it is, but it's pretty easy once you can get on it.

jim krikit

CJ-8 Member
City
key largo
State
fl
Thanks, Rear lights and parking lights, front and side would stay on. Now I pull the break peddle up and they go out.

jim krikit

CJ-8 Member
City
key largo
State
fl
Turn signal switch is fully buggered, handle doesn't click up or down. I have the replacement for it just gotta pull the steering wheel.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
I had a similar situation and it turned out being a bad dual filament bulb in the rear. You can try pulling out the bulbs and see what happens. Also check the sockets.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Turn signal switch is fully buggered, handle doesn't click up or down. I have the replacement for it just gotta pull the steering wheel.

The brake light wiring also passes through the turn signal switch so it's very possible that is the reason for all the lights staying on when the brake light switch is on.

As was stated, an issue with the sockets/lamps in the rear can also cause a back-feed to the parking lights.

Either way the brake light switch needs to be addressed to prevent future battery drain.