• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Payload???

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Not Alot!

I believe the owners manual shows a total vehicle weight of 4150. You just need to weigh your '8 full of gas and folks and the difference is what is supposed to be the payload in the bed.

It isn't a hole lot.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I had 450 lbs. of feed in the back of mine this week, that's pretty close to a 1/4 ton :) , but not much under mine is stock.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I had a full size 1975 Harley in the back of mine once!

It was in Italy, my buddy had an accident while riding his bike, had to go to the hospital & the local police, Carabinieries, where gonna have it hauled off to God knows where so his friend called me & we got it into the back (barely)
We only had to drive like 2 miles like that (real slowly) with it sticking out the back..

dcscrambler

1983 CJ8
City
DeRidder
State
LA
I had a PowerStroke Diesel engine in the back of mine. it weighted 900 lbs. put it next to the cab tied it down real good and it done fine. just had to go about 10 miles to the truck we put it in.

David

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
I think my dad had a load of coal in the back of it but i'm not sure how much it weighed.

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
More on payload

I want to haul corn for my corn stove in my scrambler, but not so sure how to calculate the payload for it. 500lbs sure aint a lot! Anybody else have some numbers on this.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
According to Penn State Energy Strategies

Shelled corn is generally sold by the bushel or by weight. One bushel of shelled corn with a moisture content of 15.5 % weighs 56 pounds and requires a storage volume of 1.25 cubic feet.

So in a stock Scrambler, about 9 bushels would be according to the numbers. Never had a stock one with unsagged springs, so don't know how much you could overload it safely. I've carried 5,000 lbs with my 1 ton SRW truck before for 30 miles plus had another 3,000 lbs in the single axle trailer. Well over the rated load, but carried it beuatifully.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
jmarkel said:
I want to haul corn for my corn stove ...

Cool, those things are so neat. Corn is where it will be folks, corn stoves and ethanol... mark my words.

I'd try a little under eric's calculation and see how it does, you can then tweak the load from there.

N

n9viw

bigwalton said:
Corn is where it will be folks, corn stoves and ethanol... mark my words.
Good golly, I hope not... ethanol is about the WORST one could do in a desperate stab at a burnable fuel, if only for the fact that it takes MORE energy to MAKE than it provides! Not to mention the near-toxic effluent produced by its manufacture... it's the dumbest thing since the Jeep II.
I'd sooner see vaporizer-plate hydrogen conversions, or everyone going to diesel engines burning veggie. At least then we can use realistic, sustainable crops like soy and hemp. Corn takes too much out of the soil, grows more slowly, and on a whole, doesn't contribute much.
Back on track, referencing the other thread, I've had a load of green lumber so heavy it permanently de-arched my rear springs, but I never thought to weigh it... just say it was bloody heavy and it was a dumb move. Stick to the 1/4-1/2 ton range and you should be fine.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
Same a n9viw!

Plus.....

Jmarkel, Hope you have better luck (and cheaper corn) than I did in the late 90's when I "attempted" to use a corn-fueled fireplace insert to heat about 1300 sqft. I hauled corn in my Scrambler that season and usually could load about 10-50# bags at a time. No problems. However, that was about enough for 4 days heating at $3.50 a bag, back them. Simple math equated to about $275 a month:eek: , not including gas for the seven trips down the hill and back(15 miles, one way. $5-$6 RT today).

Can you arrange for a feed store to deliver bulk? You could build a small bottom feed silo to hold it. Maybe you can save a little that way, instead of service-cycling your Jeep hauling it.

Good thing about corn stoves is that your house always smells like popcorn (no lie!)

Paul

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
Michigan vs Virginia

Well, I am not attempting to heat the whole house with it, just supplement it. Also, the temperature here in winter barely dips below 30 degrees...it is usually quite mild.

Corn here is 110 a ton or approximately 3.50 a bushel. I can get pellets for 210 a ton as well. I don't suspect that I will burn more than a hopper a day to supplement my heating needs.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
That's good, corn hasn't gone up much in 6 years. $3.50 for 56 Lb., bulk.

I was living at 7500 ft in Colorado then and it probably was a little colder than you have it:rolleyes: . Make sure your stove is set up to use corn AND pellets. Mine wasn't and I almost had a fire when I tried to use them instead of corn.

Paul

chilly4x4

Basic User
City
lacey
State
wa
how much wieght?

well it was wet maple and i only had to drive down the freeway but this one did weigh.