• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Pics of Troop Seating?

CJocho

CJ-8 Member
City
CHICAGO
State
Il
Can anybody explain to me how permanently removing the bulk head (As appears to have been done here) messes with the rigidity of the body? Does some sort of aleration have to be done that I just don't see in this picture? Thanks.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Can anybody explain to me how permanently removing the bulk head (As appears to have been done here) messes with the rigidity of the body? Does some sort of aleration have to be done that I just don't see in this picture? Thanks.

Bulkhead don't mean a thing as far as body rigidity.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Argeed, lots of us running without one with no issues. Made removable for a reason :thumbsup:

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
I’ve been trolling google images for years on this topic. Will post some when I get to my desktop.

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
Not all CJ8's but should help with ideas. Post here if you do it!

In an 8...the biggest issue I've seen is that you need a custom cage because the down-angle of the original cage interferes with clean access to wheel wells.

image002.jpg

e1f7ff3370fd3fa64c36910043a6351f---jeep-jeep-tj.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

49c7_12.JPG

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Is this even legal in the US? Neat idea but not very safe. You would be really vulnerable in a rollover.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Is this even legal in the US? Neat idea but not very safe. You would be really vulnerable in a rollover.

I thought a long time about these troop style seats and decided against it because of this question. I ended up putting a rear seat with head rests, a YJ "family" style roll bar so all 4 passengers could have a 3 point harness. I'm not a safety nut (If I was I wouldn't drive a roll over prone vehicle with no air bags), but the troop seats just don't cut it for me unless you're building a "Parade Jeep" or other show car.

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
I thought a long time about these troop style seats and decided against it because of this question. I ended up putting a rear seat with head rests, a YJ "family" style roll bar so all 4 passengers could have a 3 point harness. I'm not a safety nut (If I was I wouldn't drive a roll over prone vehicle with no air bags), but the troop seats just don't cut it for me unless you're building a "Parade Jeep" or other show car.

Could you post a picture of your setup?

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
The Bestop seats are nice. It looks like they'll hold up nicely, but time will tell. I bought the back seat specifically because of the head rests. It's true that anyone over 5' 9" or so will not benefit from the head rests, but my only other choice was to try and build some home made stuff. I knew it would look and perform like garbage, so I went with the Bestop stuff.

If you follow the thread I posted, it's got some good information on the seat heights etc.