• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Picture of factory side steps on drivers underside

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Unfortunately the pictures and diagrams I've found online don't tell you the measurements correctly for the install of the factory side steps

My question, is this notched cutout in the underside intended for the rearmost bolthole in the sidestep?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427831892.949286.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427831902.596532.jpg

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I don't see that notch on mine.

01a13ebb0a7797c392be6544166e7cbf-1.jpg

e73eb4b128219bfadf385bdc73354a74-1.jpg

321b496007404d573134665a2f73b479-1.jpg

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
I don't see that notch on mine.

Do you have the factory side steps installed? If they're installed, the mount would cover that notch entirely. The mount is like 2inches wide, and that notch is about 1/2". Can I have a pic if you have one?

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Never mind, pics just loaded finally! It looks like the mount is covering that notch? That helps a ton, I think I'm going to drill right through it?!

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I didn't have to drill at all. The holes were already there. Tell me what you need pictures of and I'll take more!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The sidesteps were installed on the assembly line kinda haphazardly in my opinion. I've unbolted alot of them in unmolested jeeps and see very rough holes and not necessarily a great bit of quality control. A lot of cases the holes are so jagged it look like they used a regular drillbit, didn't care that the edges or jagged and just slapped them on. if you have the holes from the sidesteps they were likely there from the beginning if you have no sidesteps and never had them you won't have any holes. RisPony, I have a rubbing of a factory set floor pan if you want to make it "exact" before you drill let me know :cheers:

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
The sidesteps were installed on the assembly line kinda haphazardly in my opinion. I've unbolted alot of them in unmolested jeeps and see very rough holes and not necessarily a great bit of quality control. A lot of cases the holes are so jagged it look like they used a regular drillbit, didn't care that the edges or jagged and just slapped them on. if you have the holes from the sidesteps they were likely there from the beginning if you have no sidesteps and never had them you won't have any holes. RisPony, I have a rubbing of a factory set floor pan if you want to make it "exact" before you drill let me know :cheers:

I'll let that pony joke slide only cause it's April fools....but YEAH, how do I get that rubbing? It's almost impossible to hold up the steps from underneath and mark the holes. Plus the tub is painted, so it's only getting drilled once...That would make my life a lot easier.