Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Does anyone know if the pitman arm from a YJ can be used on a CJ power steering gear box
(do the splines match?)? I did a tierod flip and am having some contact between the end of the pitman arm(stock flat CJ style) and the tierod when the axle moves up and down. This problem will get worse if I add a heavy duty tierod (larger diameter). I noticed the YJ pitman arm is angled upward a little bit (kind of the opposite of a dropped pitman arm). This might give me the clearance I need if it will fit. Maybe I could get a slightly dropped pitman arm for a CJ and mount it upside down (I think the taper for the tierod end would be the wrong way then)?
The other idea I had was to find a shorter version of the stock pitman arm? Not sure if there is such a thing...
I know there is a steering box mount that will move the box forward and would give me plenty of clearance, but that will open another can of worms that I'd like to avoid (don't want to install longer steering shaft, etc..).

Ideas/suggestions anyone?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Both ends of pitman arms are tapered, the box splines and the drag link end. Yes, a YJ arm will fit the splines on the steering box, but I don't know about the drag link end.

A stock steering shaft will extend if you burn the nylon pins and rust out of it, so you can use a use the mount that moves the box forward. That mount does require that you notch the back of the front cross member, though. If you use a shorted pitman arm it can kill your turn radius if you don't use shorter arms (think high steer) at the knuckles.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I did some more research and found a couple of references to a pitman arm from an Astrovan being a good swap for this purpose (supposed to be a little shorter and a lot heavier). I measure the stock CJ pitman to be about 6.5" center to center. Going to go to the auto parts store and take some measurements. If the Astrovan arm is the length I need and the spline count is the same, I'll give it a try.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I did some more research and found a couple of references to a pitman arm from an Astrovan being a good swap for this purpose (supposed to be a little shorter and a lot heavier). I measure the stock CJ pitman to be about 6.5" center to center. Going to go to the auto parts store and take some measurements. If the Astrovan arm is the length I need and the spline count is the same, I'll give it a try.
I use an Astro pitman arm on mine now. You will need to properly ream the drag link end to the right size.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I use an Astro pitman arm on mine now. You will need to properly ream the drag link end to the right size.
Thanks for the confirmation. I read somewhere that the pitman may be different from the 2wd vs. 4wd Astro van. Can you confirm which model yours came from? I think the drag link end gets a 7 degree taper, yes? Did you have to do anything to the spines (key spline location is correct?)?
Thanks again

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Thanks for the confirmation. I read somewhere that the pitman may be different from the 2wd vs. 4wd Astro van. Can you confirm which model yours came from? I think the drag link end gets a 7 degree taper, yes? Did you have to do anything to the spines (key spline location is correct?)?
Thanks again
I really don't remember, I did years ago. I pretty sure it was off a 2WD van. I think 7 degrees is the right taper. If the clocking isn't right, it's easy to take out the indexing splines with a hacksaw and a small triangle file; I've done it a few times.