• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Plasti-Dip

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I have been reading a bunch of threads on a 4Runner forum recently about guys using Plasti-Dip for all sorts of different items on their rigs. Most of the guys have been painting (with spray cans mostly) a bunch of interior panels, front grills and emblems with the stuff. One guy has even gone as far as spray painting his entire 2005 Limited 4Runner in camo tan Plasti-Dip. It actually looks pretty good, kinda a military looking paint job...flat tan. He even did the wheels.

What do y'all think about this stuff? Anyone here ever use it? I know the purists would never use it, but is seems like it could be pretty useful in some areas on the Scramblers.

Dipped1.jpg

E0536022-1E2E-4944-82E9-18B7FD995407-9278-00000ADAF0D21C41.jpg

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Never heard of it or seen it. Where do they get it?

Apparently you can get it at Home Depot and Lowes. It comes in several different colors and forms. There are regular cans of the stuff for dipping tool handles and stuff like that in and there are spray cans. It is a rubber compound and can be peeled off of things if you get tired of it or if it starts wearing badly.

plasti1.jpg

28_plasti_dip_07.jpg

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
It's gaining in popularity up here, especially with painting wheels.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Does it trap moisture behind (under it). I would hate to see it rust out from the coating.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
a lot of guy around me are plasti-dipping their rims, chrome bumpers, and trim pieces for winter...
To get it to stick right you need prep what ever your spraying... Just like anything
else. If you were thinking about running black rims on your rig this is a fast cheap way
to find out. And it come off easy...

7jeeps7kings

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
That's a pretty cool idea. Sort of a compromise between paint and bed liner. :)

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Dipyourcar.com
LMK what you think after you check out the site and check out their videos on youtube. Pretty cool!

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am going to try it out on my old five slots to see how it works. If it looks good the. My Toyota rims will get the treatment as well

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I am going to try it out on my old five slots to see how it works. If it looks good the. My Toyota rims will get the treatment as well

I'm curious to see those five slots done up. Off the subject, how hard are the slots to find?

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
So, I bought two cans of the spray on Plasti-dip from Home Depot this weekend. I used it to seal up an old rusted out metal wash tub that I am making into a bird bath for my wife. I would say that my first impressions are pretty good. The material is a lot thinner than I expected, so you must use several coats to build up the thickness. The spray didn't come out as smoothly as I would expect at first. There was a texture to it with lots of little bubbles. As the material dried, it evened out to a nice flat black. Like any other spray paint, you have to go easy on it or it will run.

All in all, it seems to be a pretty good product. It seals up some small cracks and pinholes pretty good, but it doesn't bridge larger gaps (maybe with a backing it could). I have an old rim that I might try painting this week.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I'm curious to see those five slots done up. Off the subject, how hard are the slots to find?

They are pretty rare. I have a complete set of five rims that I found on CL by luck. I am mounting some 265/75x15's on them this week then plan to try the plasti-dip on a rim. Mine need alot of polishing that Ijust do not want to do so this will be the quick and easy way out and reversible to boot.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Excuse my previous post. My iPhone has a mind of its own sometimes. As I was saying, those are my favorite style of rims. It doesn't surprise me that they're going to be hard to find. The ones on my F250 cleaned up really nice with s

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I'm gonna throw this phone out with the trash, I swear ...

Eagle one etching mag cleaner for raw aluminum rims. ONLY raw aluminum rims. Works great. Wear glasses and gloves though...