• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Poison Spyder aluminum guards

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I emailed Nemesis like suggested. If that fails, I'll consider buying the steel ones. The added weight worries me. Anyone out there that has used the steel ones??
If you have to go steel can you get away with just doing the corners and not wrapping around along the body side? I've never needed body side protection other than rockers, but my wheeling could be much different than yours.
I could see wanting protection under the body side behind the rear wheel opening but I don't know if those would do that. For this issue I was thinking some 'outriggers' attached to the rear bumper and frame would work well, like a few people on the forum have done.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If you have to go steel can you get away with just doing the corners and not wrapping around along the body side? I've never needed body side protection other than rockers, but my wheeling could be much different than yours.
I could see wanting protection under the body side behind the rear wheel opening but I don't know if those would do that. For this issue I was thinking some 'outriggers' attached to the rear bumper and frame would work well, like a few people on the forum have done.

I’ve needed the corners :shrug:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Quadratec and morris both say in stock

They lie... nobody has them. For some reason, Poison Spyder won't take them out of their system (even though they haven't stocked/produced them for over a year). Vendors (like Morris , North Ridge, 4WD, and QT) will take orders based on the expectation they can get them drop shipped from PS. Then in a few days/weeks/months, they'll tell you they can't get them.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Well that sucks, I was going to order a set, I wonder if we could get a group buy on them.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
After dealing with their customer service, I highly doubt it. They got huffy with me when I suggested they should remove discontinued items from website.

I might buy a set of blanks for a CJ7 from GenRight and pay someone to TIG a 20" insert into them (probably still cheaper than buying GR CJ8 blanks).

Hopefully something will pan out with Nemesis , although they list no products for Scrambler on their website.

Last edited:

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Which ones were you looking at? I noticed in the last week that they removed the "Stock" Cut aluminum ones but they still have the "Standard" Cut with TJ wheel opening. Are you saying they don't have any aluminum corner guards available at all?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
My understanding is that they discontinued all aluminum corners for Scramblers almost 2 years ago (stock and standard... never heard of them with TJ wheel openings though). Supposedly they had problems with them "cracking", so they quit making them.
If you can find some, then more power to you! :cheers:

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
I was only looking for the stock ones, I can't speak about the standard corners. The description says that standard ones use tj style wheel openings and their flush mounted tail lights. I want to keep stock fender flares and lights, so I didn't even ask.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
i think the stock tail lights will still work on the standard cut corners, it covers the hole no problem so it should work and would give you the option to switch down the road if you want. Not sure how the flare cut would look, but I would guess the cj style flare would open up enough if you wanted to leave it mounted.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I am in the process of rebuilding my Scrambler. The tub and armor is off to the body/paint guy. I have the steel corners and rocker knockers. They are fairly heavy but strong. I had previously damaged the thin body sheet metal. Here are some pics of them when I test fit everything.

20190811_150216.jpg20190811_150134.jpg20190811_152940.jpg20190811_153006.jpg20190811_152926.jpg

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
For the taillights, after reading tons of bad reviews of the aftermarket expensive round LED units in the Jeep forums, I am going with these simple surface mount versions. No need to cut into the body support on the Scrambler. $20 each.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQ01PZ4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_x8.CDbAWCSB4E

Not as nice as a fully flush/recessed version but close enough. Really bright for braking in daylight too.

20190818_143426.jpg20190818_143458.jpg20190818_144116.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
That LED company makes similiar surface mount ones with built in reverse lights. I have some flush mount ones waiting to be installed

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
That LED company makes similiar surface mount ones with built in reverse lights. I have some flush mount ones waiting to be installed

I did see those. I didn't like the look as much as the black bezel - no backup ones.

I think you are referring to: https://www.maxxima.com/products/product_detail/830/Ultra-Thin-HybridS-Round-Red-STT-Back-Up.html

Here is a video of those ones on a TJ:

I'm thinking of setting a pair of these type in the rear bumper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5AAX5S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PtcDDbQC7KX5G

Thanks!

Last edited:

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Just an update, I ordered a set of aluminum Poison Spyder corner guards from 4wp and had them withing a week. I Mocked them up last night and they fit great. So when I had them delivered, they shipped with no hardware, so I called and talked to Poison Spyder, guess what, he said "How did you get those? We don't make them anymore? " So maybe I got lucky, I ordered them on black friday for 11% off. Now I need to figure out flares.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Just an update, I ordered a set of aluminum Poison Spyder corner guards from 4wp and had them withing a week. I Mocked them up last night and they fit great. So when I had them delivered, they shipped with no hardware, so I called and talked to Poison Spyder, guess what, he said "How did you get those? We don't make them anymore? " So maybe I got lucky, I ordered them on black friday for 11% off. Now I need to figure out flares.
Stock corners (rectangle tail light) or custom (round tail light)?

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Round but the square lights almost cover the round holes perfectly. Would be easy to make it work.