• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Poly tank removal help needed

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I swear there was a thread on this awhile back but I can't seem to find it.

tearing down the '84 CJ7 and pulled the tank out today - skid plate and all. This is the factory 20 gallon poly tank. For the life of me I can't get the actual tank out of the skid plate.

I've let it soak in water to loosen up any dirt, etc. that may be helping the marriage stay together and have had luck with some being flushed out. However I still cant get it to budge.

Suggestions?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I went through this same problem. In my case, there was a bunch of dirt/gravel packed in all around the tank and it just wouldn't budge. I got it out finally by using a garden hose and pressure spray used to flush out most of the dirt while the whole thing sits upside down. Soaked it with oil (a lot of oil) for a day or so. Then pulled it out by hand. It helps to keep it upside down while you wiggle it out so gravity is working with you (i set the ends of the skidplate on a couple of saw-horses). There should also be some sheets of rubber lining each side that might be able to be pulled out to increase clearance.

I've hear of others using vacuum to suck air out of the tank to make it smaller but you have to plug all the other holes good. Just take your time and be careful not to crack the tank.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I doubted myself and spoke too soon. After letting it sit overnight full of water between the tank and the rubber mats it finally dissolved enough crud that I barely had to work at it to get the tank to lift out.

Quick cleanup of everything and the skid plate is ready for powder coat