• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

"Poof" and now you are stuck

TanTinCan

City
Fayetteville
State
NC
Issue: My 4.2 is currently not running. I was driving down the road and heard a "Poof" sound. I know, I know, great description. I pulled over and the motor was running hot and a little bit of oil smoke was coming out of the oil breather filter on the top. The motor turns over and I will give you the actions that I took below.
Actions I took:
Oil: I drained the oil and there was no metal or off odor to it.
Coolant: Drained; a little rusty color to it and no oil or film on the top. I let it rest for a day in a bucket to make sure. So that was normal.
Piston Compression: Tested; no compression in 1-3 with some compression in the following cylinders. Around 30-100 psi ish
Note: I put some oil through the spark plug hole, in cylinder 1 and tested the compression again. No luck = no pressure.
So... my thought is that the issue could be something to do with timing maybe. Could the timing belt be off? I'm still learning

I also don't want to take the hole thing apart.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Pull the valve cover and see what the rockers and valves look like.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Does that mean you don't see the the pushrods moving either?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
With the valve cover off none of the pushrods/rockers are moving while the engine is cranking? If that's the case I would next look at pulling the timing cover off the front of the engine. If that is all good it could be a broken crank but I've personally never heard of a broken crank in a 258.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
With the valve cover off none of the pushrods/rockers are moving while the engine is cranking? If that's the case I would next look at pulling the timing cover off the front of the engine. If that is all good it could be a broken crank but I've personally never heard of a broken crank in a 258.
x2. That would be my next step. Inspect timing chain and gear. Something mechanically is impeding the movement of the pushrods/etc. Does it sound like broken bolts tossed in a wash machine when you try and crank it? I feel something potentially this major would leave more clues.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Hopefully it is just a broken timing chain.

TanTinCan

City
Fayetteville
State
NC
Okay so... bad news, the timing chain cover was cracked. It came off in pieces and the chain boke. Taking with it some gear teeth. I removed the broken chain and loosen the valves. I was able to move the crank by hand and all the valves moves. I also removed the rods, which were straight. Next will be to take the head off to inspect the pistons and walls. I will also pull the crank for anything out of the ordinary.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
That sucks. But you are sticking with the 258?

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Something similar to this has led me start the Cummins R2.8 conversion in mine.

TanTinCan

City
Fayetteville
State
NC
Pulled the head off and lifters. All is in prefect condition. The oil is from a compression test. I am going to replaced the timing chain and gaskets. whats the best timing chain and gears?