Post up your Jeep on board tool storage!

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
We all know that we have been on the side of the road working on our own Jeep or someone else's. How do you guys carry the necessities with you? I keep a pretty well stock tool bag and Craftsman mechanics set in my daily driver not so much for myself since I drive a 05 four runner and wouldn't really know where to begin working on it if something went wrong but if I were to run into someone that I could possibly help. Jumper Cables, chain, tire repair kit, 12V air compressor, you know just the basics. I was kinda thinking just get another bag and just put the basic tools in it but then I thought about maybe getting small box that I would strap down to keep it from sliding around buy also keep everything dry when the top maybe off. The other criteria is that I would like to still have room for my third row seat and small stroller if needed for day trips and picnic supplies. Kind of normal stuff for my family taking Jeep trips. Letter Rip boys!

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I used to have a bigger box that I picked up from an army surplus store. But it broke at the hinges. I had it behind my rear bench. When I switched to a half cab set up, I switched to using a trailer tongue box that sits right behind the bulkhead. It does not hold as much, but it is metal and allows me more room in the bed. I will look for pics.

That was the old footlocker. I can't find a pic of the newer box.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

I've always liked 'Duffers' hood storage idea on his Willys. He is on most Jeep sites under the handle Duffer:

duffer said:
Seems there is a bit of interest on my hood fab job. The goal here was to get all the tools that may be needed on the trail in an easily accessible location (was getting tired of unloading gear to get to them), and have that access be totally tool free. A review of availble space in the 3B didn't take long and this was the only real option available. I built the hood in this case, but think all of this would be adaptable to most Jeep hoods. The 3B hood was ideal. I am not especially attached to red paint, but it makes things easier to find in the mud.

Tube on left side photo holds the lug wrench. It has a spring loaded plunger in the bottom that applies forward pressue (think Remington 870). The lug wrench is slipped in and then rotated downward into an open end box and the forward pressure locks it into place. The trenching shovel handle is held in place by a similar spring loaded sleeve and released by pushing rear ward and holding latch pin. The jack is an overcenter spring latch with the jack slots opening upward at about 15 degrees so gravity helps retain it. The jerry can spout just screws into the larger tube which is sealed and gasketed to keep it clean. The double bitted axe is held in by a torsion spring loaded latch and the slot for the end of the handle is open upward when the hood is closed, again for gravity assist. The gusset on the front of the hood keeps it from moving forward.

And, yes, I know I have too much time on my hands-not really. Moral of this project: never buy a spool gun if you actually like to weld.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Just took a picture of my trailer tongue box I mentioned above. Sorry. Crappy pic due to the night time.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Merton
State
WI
This OEM box fits behind the bulkhead on a Scrambler, it fits behind the third row seats in my brother's brown Scrambler, and fits well in an LJ also, as see in the pic.

P8140126.JPG

P8140125.JPG

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I've got my boys at Ironman 4x4 looking in the junk yard for one. He said he thought he had metal one that was a factory option as well.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have the same oem box in my Sandblast scrambler as shown below. They fit great in scramblers IMHO, way better than in a CJ7 where it is much tighter to get to the locking part and pressed up against the tailgate you cant see the cool logo on it. Also yes they made a metal version for early YJ wranglers that is in the 1987 accessories catalog. for the CJs, it was this one, and that box design came out in the early 80s, and they will have a date stamped inside.

You can sometimes get lucky finding used ones in the 50-150 range...NOS we see sell for 500 or so on ebay from time to time too.

View attachment 49600

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Alright pros....here is what I have found! Now tell me what it is cause I haven't picked it up yet I just thought it looked cool and it was cheap.

I also got this at Academy Sports for $20.00!!!

City
White Rock
State
NM
jeep interior parts 006.jpg

I over tend to over pack and I sometimes look like the Beverly Hillbillys because everything else, like cooler and camping stuff sits on top of the drawer decking instead of down in the bed but it is convenient to just open the tail gate and slide the drawer out

City
White Rock
State
NM
oh, and its actually enclosed, this is a pic during construction before I finished the drawer end with the pulls in it