Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Anyone done this? :shrug:

I understand aluminum side trims could be powdercoated from a process standpoint but moreso my question is has anyone seen a "bright" finish that is almost like a chrome or SS to replicate the earlier renegade trims that were polished aluminum?

Also, not to open a whole powdercoating thread, but as long as there is no fill spots or bondo, is it true that aluminum can be powdercoated just like steel? Any advantages or disadvantages either way? (like the alum cant be baked as well) (Or the alum powdercoating isnt as durable as steel?)

Thanks!

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
I know when I looked into getting wheels powdercoated "chrome", everyone I talked to said it would come out looking like a shiny silver and not so much chrome. So if shiny silver is OK. Can't speak to the durability of aluminum vs. steel.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I've seen aluminum powdercoated black with good results (very durable), but don't know of any product that would look like chrome. May be better off just polishing the aluminum and applying a clear coat.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Westport
State
MA
Had my side trim powder coated last year because my something acidic got onto the anodized aluminum which caused this horrible water staining effect. The powdercoater sandblasted and prepared them and was able to easily powder coat them. Not sure if the process was the exact same as used for steel. The finish we chose was as close as we could get to factory, but it is not 100% perfect match. Believe me when I say there are a lot of different finishes available and some are very expensive. Not sure if you could match SS or chrome, but a good coating shop should know. Overall, I guess I am saying that Yes the anodized aluminum trim can be powder coated. As far as durability, I let you now when I install mine and run them for a while.

Chipster1990

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I just had my side trim and side steps powdercoated. I should be getting them back today. I will post pictures although I am having them coated black!!

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
From a durability standpoint Aluminum powdercoating can be just as good as steel if not more because it will not rust. A good powder coating shop will use an iron phosphate/cleaner for adhesion and corrosion protection on steel and maybe on Aluminum as well. For Aluminum they may use a different product called a sealer. It promotes bonding between the Aluminum and Paint. I spent some time in the industrial paint biz and sold the chemicals that they use for corrosion protection and paint adhesion.

Have you thought about just sanding them and buffing them to the shine you like? Then maybe clear coat them?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I would suggest something more gentle than sandblasting, maybe soda blasting, walnut shell, plastic beads, etc. No first hand experience blasting aluminum, just steel.

Chipster1990

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I know these aren't the bright finish but they are original aluminum side trim that has been powder coated black! Just for comparison.

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
Can you find a place that works with stainless steel and see if they could polish it to see how shiny you can get them? There was a place near me but they closed. That is my plan.

karl