Power Steering Pressure Hose Postal

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
Got the AGR pump installed. Started the engine and fluid went all over. The pressure line to the steering box is shot. Took it to the local NAPA store to see if they could make one. No way.

Any of you Postal owners had the same problem? What to do?

I'm in kind of a fix here. I have to have the Postal on the road by June 24th. When we move to the lower 48, I gotta tow the Rhino on a trailer from Bellingham, Washington down to Everett with the Jeep.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Priority mail or Goldstreak the old hose to Alaska Rubber, ask them to make a new one, and Priority or Goldstreak it back.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Maybe the place AK mentioned can make it, but mine was leaking before I left AK to drive back and I went to the "hose place" in Anchorage that "could make anything" and they couldn't make it. Part of my problem was that the fitting at the box was destroyed trying to get it out, they thought that they might have been able to reuse that end if it didn't end up mangled. Maybe you can reuse yours?

I ended up finding the last NOS one that the guy who bought the lot of spare parts at the USPS auction had. I called him once and he said he didn't have anymore, but when I got to the end of my rope, I went to his place (auto shop) in person and asked him to please look and he found one incorrectly located in another bin.

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
I can probably use fittings again. You would think someone here would have the ability to make a pressure hose.

Think the guy you got yours from would have another hose.:drool: I know the answer.

Worse comes to worse. I can pull the belt on the pump. Do you plug the pump or loop the lines?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, he's done. I had to beg him to look when I showed up, uninvited, in person pleading my case about the whole rescue/drive to NC...

The hose shop guy told me on the phone that "we can make 99% of hoses out there" and then "wouldn't you know you have that 1%".

No idea on the pump if you pull the belt.

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
4 X 4 Wholesale sent me to a Street Rod shop in Washington that said he could duplicate. Sent Priority Mail today. I just hope he can build.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had a similar situation with Napa...said it couldn't be done. So, I changed my request and asked if they could make a 6" section of 3/8" rubber hydraulic hose with 3/8" compression fittings on each end. No problem. I just cut the metal ends off my old hose, tightened the new rubber section on, and it's been working for years that way.

Mancunian

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
I apologize for resurrecting this

@Randyzzz - is your solution still working? I tried to flare the end of a short elbow (that has the correct o ring fitting for the box) and use a brake coupling to join the pipes but it''s leaking after many attempts to tighten>:(

20190903_193315.jpg

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I used some AN fittings and hose rated for power steering to make a set of pressure and return hoses. I purchased everything from summit racing.

Mancunian

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Yes, an AN flare would be easier, it's not leaking now so we'll see if i need to go that way

Thanks