wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Green Jeep has been sitting for a few weeks. Got stuck, wife over-revved it while I was pushing, motor mount was busted, so ended up with a radiator hose getting a hole sawed in in by the alternator. Good times!:laugh:

Anyhow, new motor mount, while the rad was empty I figured it was a good time to swap out the A/C condensor so did that, new hoses and coolant, and I'm back on the road, right?

Wrong.

Apparently the dripping steering box leaked more than I realized. Went to drive it and had no power steering. Checked the PS pump and it was empty. Drove it to the store to get some power steering fluid, and now it works intermittantly.

Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it acts like I have no power steering. Doesn't hang up in any particular spot.

I did jack up the front wheels and go lock to lock back and forth several times and it seems to be better.

Sound like I need to do that again/ air in the lines, or is my pump going south from the dry run?

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
It can take a fair amount of back and forth to get the air out. Doing with the tires off the ground like you mentioned is an easy way.

It could be that the pump is on the way out from being run dry as well. I'd try to bleed it again, check for foaming in the tank, + proper level and see if that fixes it. I don't know how far you drove but I would consider changing the pump - if it's damaged it could break at a very inopportune time. A rebuilt unit isn't that expensive.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
It can take a fair amount of back and forth to get the air out. Doing with the tires off the ground like you mentioned is an easy way.

It could be that the pump is on the way out from being run dry as well. I'd try to bleed it again, check for foaming in the tank, + proper level and see if that fixes it. I don't know how far you drove but I would consider changing the pump - if it's damaged it could break at a very inopportune time. A rebuilt unit isn't that expensive.
Thanks. I actually have a spare in the shop, just don't want to go through the trouble of changing them out if it's just air. This is my around town Jeep, so rarely more than 10 miles from the house with it. I'll try jacking the front up again and see if it gets better.

82cj7

Legacy Registered User
City
indianapolis
State
in
As far as the leaking aspect - I use a significant amount of Lukas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak
which seems to slow it down.