Production number sequence decoded by VIN/SSN?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
There are a series of six numbers at the end of each Scrambler VIN, known as the Sequential Serial Number (SSN). These six digits are representative of when they came through the production line. Were these SSN assigned to individual model years, or did the SSN just start in 1981 and end in 1986?

Also, it appears the SSN may have included all CJ models from 1981-1986. Is there any way to know if a Scrambler was the 10th or 50th off the line in a particular model year? In other words, is there data available that might indicate the SSN for the first model off the line in individual years?

Following that, would there then be any way of isolating Scrambler production sequences independent of the other CJ models?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Unfortunately the short answer is no. AMC Records were destroyed, not retained etc. therefore we don't have the luxury that folks with Chevys and Fords have through the individuals who purchased those records. (Think Glover, etc. )

And as far as the SSN the SSN started in each model year and it would require a whole bunch of people submitting their VINs to a registry to determine the order and still there would be way too many gaps considering that most of them are all gone.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Additional question: If a 1981-86 VIN has a SSN of 056185, is this indicative of being number 56,185 off the assembly line since 1981?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Additional question: If a 1981-86 VIN has a SSN of 056185, is this indicative of being number 56,185 off the assembly line since 1981?
EDIT based upon JJ's response not veiwed previous to submitting above post.

Additional question: If a 1981-86 VIN has a SSN of 056185, is this indicative of being number 56,185 off the assembly line in that particular year? If so, does this cover just CJ models or all AMC Jeep production (Wags, etc.)?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
One thing you can determine loosely with your VIN is how early it is in the line since we know the total production of vehicles per year all models. Then you would know what would be considered kind of early and or kind of late.

For instance my 83 Scrambler VIN ends in 000466 therefore it's a a good guess its a pretty early '83.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Maybe I should subscribe, so I can edit before responses are posted. So, the 056185 SSN found on a 1982 model is the 56,185th Jeep since 1981 or just in the production period starting 1982?

Oh, and I also meant to write "viewed" as correctly spelled.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Don't get so wrapped around the axle about posting and editing all the time. we'd love for you to be a paid member but you don't have to edit every time it just clutters the thread I did know what you were trying to ask.

Model year only, all jeep models. It restarts each year.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
One thing you can determine loosely with your VIN is how early it is in the line since we know the total production of vehicles per year all models. Then you would know what would be considered kind of early and or kind of late.

For instance my 83 Scrambler VIN ends in 000466 therefore it's a a good guess its a pretty early '83.
So, does this mean that a 1983 was built 300 units before yours, if the VIN ends in 000166? Would this be 300 CJ8 units before yours, or 300 AMC Jeep units?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I wonder what numbers were the first and last Scrambler? Is there any documentation on this forum regarding this data? It appears like there is no way to tell with any certainty, other than collectively gathering SSN information on a model specific site like this one.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I wonder what numbers were the first and last Scrambler? Is there any documentation on this forum regarding this data? It appears like there is no way to tell with any certainty, other than collectively gathering SSN information on a model specific site like this one.
Unfortunately the short answer is no. AMC Records were destroyed, not retained etc. therefore we don't have the luxury that folks with Chevys and Fords have through the individuals who purchased those records. (Think Glover, etc. )

:wave:

This is all I have seen in regards to a registry. Hasnt been updated since 2010. http://www.jeephead.com/regfront.htm

Last edited:

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I have been keeping my own personal registry since I started looking for my scrambler (when I joined the site in 2006). I was keeping a master list but it got deleted somewhere along the way, so I don't know how big the sample I have is. I would guess that based on the number of folders in there that I have information on about 800 scramblers (some have come up for sale several time over the years, so I can't just count the number of folders).

What I have is:
1981 - runs from 030921-080144.
1982 - mostly runs from 000917-067612 but then I found an oddball 804613. Doing the math on the whole vin says it is valid. Still by far the highest SSN I've found.
1983 - runs from 000465-069270.
1984 - runs from 000896-141668.
1985 - runs from 003247-184846.
1986 - I've only seen one in a thread on this forum and they did not give the ssn just the front half of the VIN.

None of these are absolutes just the numbers I documented. But gives you some ranges to chew on.

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
Who wants to start doing Marti reports on AMC era Jeeps with me? All I would need you to do is go out there and collect VIN and trim code data on every remaining AMC era Jeep...not that difficult.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I have been keeping my own personal registry...

What I have is:
1981 - runs from 030921-080144.
Thank you for posting that information regarding the early SSN, and thanks to others for the link to a Scrambler VIN source. I was able to find a photo of SSN 030921, and it follows. It is noted as being an all stock, second owner with 25K original miles. This is a unique Scrambler.