bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've had this Bantam T3-C for years after finding it on craigslist. Threw a cheap RTT on it with some scratch and dent Yakima brackets that I made work and have pulled it all over the country behind different Jeeps.

I used it on my insane trip to Moab for the National in 2014:
http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?42076

Finally getting proper love with a pile of parts including a Tepui Autana 4 tent with annex and their 4' awning, Compact Camping Concepts off-road fenders/no-weld rack brackets/6-lug trailer axle, Adventure Trailer Max Coupler, Cooper STT Pros to match the Postal with Icon Rebound wheels (will be swapping a set on the Postal to match), ARK off-road trailer jack, my Dometic fridge, a new MORryde kitchen/fridge slide, Odyssey house battery, Redarc trailer brake controller and charge controller, Trigger 12V accessory switch system, Renogy solar suitcase for solar charging, lots of Rugged Ridge lighting, Omix replacement suspension in SOA setup, a Krazy Beaver extreme shovel, TnT Customs swing out tire carrier for the postal to carry the spare for both the Jeep and trailer and a Road Shower solar shower.

Got the trailer blown apart and back together with the new axle/tires/wheels/suspension, swapped in a receiver tube on the front to use the Max Coupler, mounted the off-road fenders and mounted the ARK trailer jack (that is an absolute beast.)

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Looks great! Looking at the website for the wheels - doesn't look like they make a 5 x 5.5?

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Very cool! A lot of nice goodies in that second picture. Did overlanding in Africa give you some ideas?

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks great! Looking at the website for the wheels - doesn't look like they make a 5 x 5.5?
Almost guarantee they don't, too old school for Icon. These are the 6-lug to match the Waggy axles, so I'm saved by the Chevy pattern.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Very cool! A lot of nice goodies in that second picture. Did overlanding in Africa give you some ideas?
Well yeah, but despite how much it looks like in the photo, I'm not going THAT over the top crazy here. The main thing I took away from Dan's Jeep is how he talked about never worrying about power with the solar panels on the roof to recharge the house battery and the low current draw on the Dometic fridge and LED lights. That's why you see the Renogy 100-watt solar suitcase and the Redarc solar charge controller. Trailer battery will charge with the Jeep while driving and then I'll be able to plug in the solar panels when I drop it at camp.

Scene lights (LED cubes) and rock lights for the Jeep and trailer both will be really nice. Dan had some nicely placed lights on/in the Jeep that worked really well.

I just found out they're shipping out the MORryde trail kitchen/fridge slide. It's a brand-new product and it will be one of the first ones in service. Really stoked about it for grilling and cooking. That's one thing our bus/tow rig has always lacked -- badly.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Can’t wait to get it all together and to outfit the Postal to hook to it. To be clear, when I say not that crazy, I’m comparing to the full-on expedition trailers. I know this is a lot of stuff.

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
It's going to be nice. Tough little trailer too.
Is a trailer thread permitted on here? I've got an M-1102 I did for a enclosed trailer. I don't want to hijack your thread by any means, I could start a new one if anyone is interested?

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Absolutely, that’s what this subforum is for and we’ve had a couple good trailer builds.

The MORryde camp kitchen/fridge slide showed up today and I hope to pick up the tent rack steel (using the trailer) on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.. Have to push the next magazine issue out and then it’s full-on build time.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
With the magazine issue out and most of the immediate post-launch work knocked out, I could play with the kitchen/slide tonight. Got some holes drilled to mount it and just need to pick up some more hardware tomorrow on the way to get the steel for the tent rack.

This setup gives a few different configurations that will work depending how much unfolding you want to do and it has an enclosed storage drawer. I took a video that I really need to upload to show exactly how it works.

The “countertops” are plastic cutting board material, just some quick phone shots after proving my mounting setup would work:

2C2A421B-8EEB-4DCB-A52E-DA1A4A288A3C.jpg

57E32BF1-1E93-4FCD-9D1A-52FDAF8361B7.jpg

Fridge is just sitting there not secured. I really dig this setup, although it’s a good bit heavier than I was expecting at 120 lb.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Watching this with interest.

I have an old beater M100 and a slightly less-beat-on-but still-pretty-beat M416.

Might have to do something like this with one of them.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Today was a good day.

Took the trailer for its first test to pick up the 1.5” square tube for the tent/utility rack and some hardware.
959731A7-E355-4AF9-8CDA-B8B0D74EAAFA.jpg

Lunch stop after getting the steel.
8F94EBBF-6DB3-4B64-822E-F1B749CD57B1.jpg

Pieces cut, ready to start drilling LOTS of holes. You can see the no-drill brackets on the left and I got a horse stall mat at Tractor Supply for lining the bed. I cut out the rectangle for the fridge slide so that I can pull it to mount the slide and replace it when I pull it out.
D702881A-326D-4911-9D93-E28DA08EA8F9.jpg

I wanted this rack to be truly bolt-on (therefore removable) and I wanted to preserve all the bed space I could. Working with Scott at Compact Camping Concepts (they make the offroad fenders and no-weld rack brackets and he got me the new, wider 6-bolt axle) we hit on the idea of running the tube down through holes in the slanted sides of the tub and bolting to the tub at the top and the frame at the bottom. I’ll be cutting some 1.5” strap to make fender washers to back up the tub sheet metal tomorrow. The result is WAY stronger than anything I could have done inside the bed and didn’t waste any space. On the front uprights it also allows me to bolt through both the side and front of the tub in addition to the frame.
0D83E6A6-502C-4C2F-8ED7-728807007B9C.jpg

Where I stopped tonight. I need to trim the longitudinal members and I’ll wait until tomorrow to make all that racket. I ended up with three drills with three bits to make the holes go as fast as I could and it still took forever. SO MANY HOLES. And I have at least 38 more to drill tomorrow before it’s done. 6A26E7C1-4215-4595-B751-A12FF17E14A9.jpg

Attachments