Purpose of sheet metal deflector panel on firewall?

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Guys,

What is the purpose of the sheet metal panel on the driver side of the firewall? It's hard to see in the photo below, but it's to the right of the starter (visible right behind the steering shaft). It's a flat piece facing the front of the vehicle, but it also wraps back into the transmission tunnel and connects to the bottom edge of the toe board.

Is this some sort of heat shield for the exhaust and/or fuel line?

I ask because mine is causing clearance issues with my diesel install. The '10a tub does not have this sheet metal panel. Also, both supply/return fuel lines on the '10a are routed down the passenger side (similar to a 4-cyl. Scrambler). I'll re-route the fuel lines on the Scrambler accordingly.

I plan on cutting the small sheet metal deflector off the firewall unless any of you can convince me that it's uber-critical to keep. :) Share your knowledge...

Craig

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
Sheet Metal

Craig,

That is a heat sheild, you should be able to remove it with no problems encountered. If by chance the floor in that area should seem to get too hot to your liking you could clamp a shield around the exhaust pipe itself, I've done that before. Hope this helps>

Don

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Omg....

The whole tub will fall apart if you take that off!!

Just kidding, I took mine off when I put the V-8 in, long ago.

City
Knoxville
State
TN
I have the same shield on my 82 Scrambler with a 258. I didn't cut mine off but instead trimmed the top part and riveted it back together to get an extra 1" clearance on the 304 valve cover.

Bill