donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Lexington
State
SC
For the JeepInfoCenter (Kelly).

You may earn some great credibility and points with all these folks here if you can answer this historical question us. This topic has come up many times but nobody has ever found a definitive answer that I am aware of:

a. The production numbers in most documentation shows production number of CJ-8 Scramblers of 27,XXX from a period of 1981-1986. There are these other rare versions of CJ-8s as well call Postals, Overland (apparently for export), and the CJ-8 Van.

What we would love to know is:
did the production number of 27XXX include the production for export versions of CJ-8's for non-US countries and the opnes ordered for the Alaskan Postal service?
From all of our research here from the best sources we have put together, there were apparently only 200 some 1986 models of CJ-8's produced. WE have always wondered if those really were not 1986 models but branded with VINs of leftover 1985 models?

Thats a few starters. I can think up a few more that would be great research. And I'm sure if you can come up with some information or detailed info on either of those questions you will gain some real points with the people here. (even though we understand that effort of that research is not selling any more commanders or any more click throughs on the meetthemuds.com).

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Also, was it possible in some way to get a V-8 in a Scrambler from the factory?

This is one that has been debated for eons with no definitive answer to my knowledge.

Matt has an excellent point about your credibility going through the roof if you can answer these with something to back it up...

Being that the new Wranglers are coming out. I'd also be interested in production numbers on the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon since it became available.

I have one ('05) myself and the issue has been brought up in this thread of how many of this type will actually see production before being replaced...

I'd love to hear what info you could provide! :D

rockscrambler

scrambling newbie
City
bellflower
State
ca
ok let me get this straight. They did make scramblers in 1986?. because every parts,and accesories resource site I've checked states the vehicle does not exsist. I ask because mine is supose to be an 86 according to the last owner.! but on every parts site and auto parts store i go to they say that jeep didn't make the scrambler in 86

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Like Matt said, there were supposedly a handful of Scramblers in 86 that were made from the parts that they had left over... no one's ever came up with a VIN that has them as 86s though. And since it wasn't an official run for that year, it makes perfect sense that it wouldn't show up in any parts computers.

If you wouldn't mind posting your VIN, we can check it to see what comes back.

Finding one that actuallly comes back as an 86 would be really cool. Of course the other part of Matt's question is because these may have been built in 86 but not officially 86 vehicles, they might have just had left over 85 VINs. In that case we'd never know what they were...

B

BritScrambler

As some of you will recall "Tuffy" and I inspected one closely earlier this year. One of the guys out here (SoCal) has a White 86 but the VIN is for an 86 CJ-7. I don't want to annoy you guys by going over ALL the details again... But he got it from a dealer when it was 2 years old. The dealer had been driving it those first two years. It wasn't until 2005 that the owner determined that the VIN was incorrect. But take it from me, it is an authentic Scrambler, built in 86. But the VIN plates are wrong. Strange!

rockscrambler

scrambling newbie
City
bellflower
State
ca
I have already check the vin# or should I say vin#'s I think now I have a jeepenstien with 3 different #'s
public vin is missing
firewall shows as D = 83
paperwork i got when i bought it says 81 but shows same vin as firewall
tub just below door inside vin is unreadable but manufacture date of 11/85 which would make it 1986 possibley but here is a picture of the driveway queen on her throne ,the engine ,and the firewall vin plate
View attachment 5435

View attachment 5436

View attachment 5437

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I could be mistaken, but that 3rd picture is of a transfer case. If you hit it with a pressuse washer, you could be sure......

JeepInfoCenter

JeepInfoCenter
City
Troy
State
MI
Hi Guys,
I’d like to thank you for your interest and questions regarding Jeep! :)

Understanding that this would definitely be great research pertaining to your type of forum members, information that I have available here to me filters to new current vehicles. I am able to primarily provide you with new/current product information, antiquated information such as requested we simply do not have.

However, you can check out www.ChryslerHeritage.com or contact them at 1-888-456-1924 they may be able to help with the questions you have.

Bigwalton, you asked for production numbers for the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I can provide you with our Customer Assistance Center’s phone number, 1-800-992-1997.
A Representative there may be able to provide current vehicle production numbers for you.

Thanks again for your interest.

Kelly S
Jeep Information Center
1-800-925-JEEP / 1-800-925-5337
www.jeep.com
jeepforum@bbdodetroit.com

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
JeepInfoCenter said:
...antiquated information...
:D

I know what you meant, that's just an amusing choice of words in a forum dedicated to the current use of the vehicle... ;) as opposed to say a Model-A collectors forum :D

A topic that has been discussed on here at great length is that Jeeps on the whole (pre-unibody and talking in percentages, not overall numbers) live on longer than almost any other type of vehicle with possibly the exception of pickups... Jeep would probably be well served by having a group who was dedicated to the support of the older generation Jeeps or, at a minimum, a forum like this one where you can post these types of questions.

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Lexington
State
SC
Just keeps going downhill

Yes, I would agree. "antiquated" is probably a very poor choice of words considering the venue and the audience. In fact, lets just see what websters says about the word. Hmmmmmm..

an·ti·quat·ed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nt-kwtd)
adj.
Too old to be fashionable, suitable, or useful; outmoded. See Synonyms at old.
Very old; aged: “The antiquated Earth, as one might say,/Beat like the heart of Man” (William Wordsworth).

I could probably think of a lot better choice of words than that. Seems like you really wouldn't want to remotely insult someone in their own yard.

After poking around a little bit. Appears they are really making their rounds and appears that they weren't received real well in other places as well.

http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=51&forum=23

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
Well! There you have it! A-N-T-I-Q-U-A-T-E-D

donaghy said:
Yes, I would agree. "antiquated" is probably a very choice of words considering the venue and the audience. In fact, lets just see what websters says about the word. Hmmmmmm..

an·ti·quat·ed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nt-kwtd)
adj.
Too old to be fashionable, suitable, or useful; outmoded. See Synonyms at old.
Very old; aged: “The antiquated Earth, as one might say,/Beat like the heart of Man” (William Wordsworth).

I could probably think of a lot better choice of words than that.

"Too old to be fashionable, suitable, or useful; outmoded."

Hey Guys! That describes me! So, that's what I am... ANTIQUATED! :eek: Better go change my 'title'...:p

As far as Kelly's usefulness to us here... I think his last post has indicated it has reached the end of it's natural life - I hereby rescind my earlier-posted defense of him in the other thread. :mad:

Guess it makes sense though... DC is interested ONLY in selling new production, not supporting already-sold stuff (especially if they cannot sell us products or services). What is probably even more reprehensible (to them) is that they cannot even claim ANY credit for designing or producing our beloved Scramblers.

BTW, "CHRYSLERHERITAGE"? POOH! See last sentence above...

Last edited:

JeepInfoCenter

JeepInfoCenter
City
Troy
State
MI
Hello again,
Please except my apology for the misuse of words. :(
By saying ‘antiquated’, I simply was speaking of the records themselves, not the vehicles they represent.

I think it’s great that there is a forum of individuals as dedicated to Jeep Scramblers as yourselves. I do wish we had more information to provide you. If these records are locatable, they would be with in our Heritage archives.

Once again, my apologies.

Kelly S
Jeep Information Center
1-800-925-JEEP / 1-800-925-5337
www.jeep.com
jeepforum@bbdodetroit.com