• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Question on new Speedometer installation

Daddy Stew

Legacy Registered User
City
Oakdale
State
PA
I have an '81 that I plan to restore the dash to original gauges. After buying a new speedometer, I now realized that no one apparently sells them with lighting elements for the speedometer. Where can one get the lights for clusters, Hi-Beam, Brake, 4-Wheel Drive and Turn Indicators?

My Jeep has an aftermarket gauge and dash set, with butchered wiring, so no existing lighting exists for this purpose.

I was told by one website that "Chevy-style' lights will work, but not sure exactly what year or type I am asking for. Has anyone already been down this road and solved this yet?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I saved this thread off of JeepForum, it may have the information you need:JF Speedo lights thead

My honest opinion would've been to try to find a used speedo and gauges, most of the aftermarket gauges are made or distributed by Crown, and they are for the most part junk.

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Are you missing the housing for the bulbs that are part of the factory wire harness? The light bulbs are still available.