• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

R2.8CumminsCJ

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Not a lot of time to work on the 7 this week but I thought that I would post my short list and see what what you folks think.

1.R2.8 to 6L80e adapter from AXIS IND. .This consists of a bell housing ring, flywheel,center piece and then an LS flywheel. Not sure about how I feel about multiple parts and two flywheels but seems to be the only option at the moment.
2.6L80e to Dana300 adapter from AdvancedAdapters. I believe the adapter has multiple clocking positions and also has the transmission mount. I have heard that the Dana300 is prone to leaking when clocked. Is there a solution for this ?
3.Engine mounts from AXIS IND. Engine side only. Not ideal but easy enough to fab the frame side. Wondering what the best kind of dampener is for the diesel vibration might be?
4.Turbo intercooler from ??? AXIS IND. say they are working on a solution that includes brackets, intercooler and trans cooler but not sure how long it will be. At the moment this is an overwhelming item because there not a lot of room in the grill. Somehow AC condenser ,intercooler , trans cooler and radiator/electric fan(s).
5.Radiator and electric fans ??? There is a boat load of options and a ridiculous range in pricing for this. I would prefer to have the (aluminum)radiator, fans and shroud come as a unit. The price range that I have seen is $300-$2,400 .The recognizable names (Griffen,WizardCooling,Flexalite ,etc.) are on the higher side of that range. The lower range consists of EBAY ,AMAZON and few other random search results. What are your experiences ?
6.Fuel system. I have been told the high pressure pump will draw fuel from the tank. I know that the 5.9 will do this but it isn't good for the pump. Maybe AirDog or Fast in addition ?
7.AC/heat . Vintage Air?
8.Drive shafts . Not sure about where to get these.
9.Keyed ignition sorce. In the column or in the console?
10.Exhaust . Wait and see where everything falls.
That is the short(ish) list. I am sure that there will be additional items but I think this gets it running. All help and advise is appreciated !! Thanks.

Last edited:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I don't know much about AXIS, but Advance Adapters has a conversion that does not retain the factory R2.8 flywheel.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/712594-a--cummins-28l-to-gm-ls-gen-lll-lv-transmissions/

Looks like the 6L80 is slimmer than the 4L60/700R4. 4L60/700R4 have front driveshaft clearance issues on non lifted vehicles when paired with the 300. I would just ask the conversion company about clearance issues before you purchase the parts.

For the 300 leak issue, check out Novaks website. They have an intermediate shaft that is machined to have o-rings.

Good luck!

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
AXIS produces that transmission adapter for advanced and a few other adapters that advanced has. It seems to be the only option out there and making one is above my skill level.
The 6L80 being slightly thinner is one reason for the choice.
Thanks for the NOVAK tip.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
The 3.9 was in the earlier Brazilian f250 .Not sure ISF or ISB. 2014 started F250 and F350(Brazilian) R2.8. I have seen it labeled R2.8 and ISF2.8.I am not sure what the differences between the R and ISF are.

Ah, gotcha. Wasn't aware there were still doing the Cummins seeing as the Lion 3.0 Powerstroke is the new baby in-house offering.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
I have wondered why Ford has Cummins overseas but Powerstroke here. The Lion 3.0 looks good on paper 250h.p./440 . It's nice to see companies exploring the smaller efficient diesel tech..

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Missed this :popcorn:

Would love to put one of these in something someday. Saw the CJ-6 that Verne Simons did at SEMA and it just looks like a perfect CJ engine to me.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I need this in my LJ... but that wont ever happen. :(

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
That CJ6 is pretty cool. The only thing CJ6 on it is the body . I think the frame is a JK. Still really cool.

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Very cool!! Looking forward to this. I love it in the UA-CJ6D. Should be good in either the 7 or 8.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I'm looking at picking up an original CJ-6 with the Perkins diesel in it and a spare Perkins to boot. May not be as strong as the Cummins, but still pretty cool. I wanted to put a Cummins in my Scrambler, but the price killed it for me. But if I ever hit the lottery, its going to be game on, maybe a 4BT.