• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Radiator fan clearance

trent234

Legacy Registered User
City
Portland
State
OR
Hey guys, first let me say I'm new to most of this so bear with me. so I'm faced with a radiator fan issue. I'm currently running without a radiator fan, and I'm looking to change that. The problem is, there is very little room for a fan to be mounted.

IMG_3529JPG-1.jpg

As you can see its tight. Most fans won't fit, but few sites give width dimensions of their fans anyway. I was thinking the stock fan would be the smallest, I found an OEM replacement here-

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51203_01.htm

Would that do the trick? Will that even fit?

I'm running a 258, not sure of the radiator specs although I know its made for a V8.. hence a space issue.

I'm just brainstorming at the moment, any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

-Trent

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like an aftermarket radiator to me maybe? Sure looks like a 258. I don't know these measurements off hand, but the trick with a stock fan is having enough room between the backside and the belts. You'll need to find the minimum spacer length and then see from there about squeezing in the fan. Doesn't look like a stocker is going to work to my eye if you allow enough clearance with the radiator.

If you let us know the whole setup, that would help. If you can ID the radiator or take pics of it for us to see. I'm guessing this is a thicker radiator or it's not offset enough into the grille.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
With a fan clutch, no. But an OEM style flex fan with a shorty spacer, maybe. You only really need 1/2-3/4 inch clearance from the radiator. Just make sure your motor mounts are good...

How about the Contour electric fan setup?

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
contour fan needs more clearence than that. I have exactly 3" from rad to water pump clearence. with the contour fan there is about 1/2" between the shroud and water pump.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like that V8 radiator is what did it. Might try selling off your radiator and just getting stock replacements or do an aluminum radiator with the stock fan setup. Fans with clutches should be pretty east to find.

Might even be able to trade someone or something.

BTW, was '79 a 258 or was that the 232? I know a couple people found out they actually got a 232 when they went back too far for a replacement. Just curious and thought it was worth pointing out.

trent234

Legacy Registered User
City
Portland
State
OR
Bigwalton, yeah, it looks like the radiator is the culprit. Its odd though, I can't find any identification, I'm curious as to where its from and what it was made for. And yeah I've found places to get fans with clutches although the fan clutches seem to add on extra width which is a commodity. And I believe the engine is a 258, although I don't know how to validate that.. :shrug:

Randy, thats a very interesting idea I hadn't heard of before. I was reading up on this thread-
https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23812
Most notably in the thread is- "it is a little less then 3 inches thick between the motors where it would meet the water pump pulley" So in its current state I'm not sure it would fit. But then again, if/when I get a new radiator this seems like a good option. Although electric fans add on a whole level of complexity that might be over my head- current controllers, variable speed controllers, etc.

Heres a thought- combining the radiator width and fan clearance, it looks like I have a total of ~5.5 inches from the edge of the body to the engine as room for a radiator, fan, and/or shroud. Is this normal or has the engine been mounted forward? Thanks again guys.

And for fun heres a picture of the new rig. I havn't put any of these up yet.
IMG_3530JPG-1.jpg

trent234

Legacy Registered User
City
Portland
State
OR
Turns out the radiator is from a V8 CJ, so if anyone is looking to trade their 6 cylinder radiator for it.. PM me! :D

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nice looking Scrambler!

If you do go with an electric fan setup down the road, the Dakota Digital controller is awesome.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I have a new fan and fan clutch at work. If I can remember on Monday, I'll get a measurement for you-

trent234

Legacy Registered User
City
Portland
State
OR
Thanks mysunnshine, those measurements are a lot of help. I'm not sure which way was originally intended, but I might be able to pull off that clearance if i mount the radiator behind the metal its bolted to now instead of in front of it. Thanks again for taking the time to measure!

IMG_3533JPG-1.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I've seen someone who cut a slit in the grill on either side where the rad brackets would slide down on the other side of where they normally mount.

You could probably also take it to a rad shop, have them take the mounting brackets off the rad, move it forward, and rebraise the brackets back on.... I had a 3 core rad that didn't clear my fan clutch, so I had the local radiator shop remove the brackets and remount them moving the rad forward a couple of inches. Think he charged me $25

trent234

Legacy Registered User
City
Portland
State
OR
I decided to take it to the pros since I needed this fixed asap, and it was a little bit above my head. anyway this is the finished product-

IMG_3547JPG-1.jpg

they trimmed the shroud down and mounted it upside down to make it fit, it works though so hey, i'll take it.

IMG_3548JPG-1.jpg

So for anyone with limited clearance.. it can be done!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

ineedajeep

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Lake Charles
State
LA
I have the same radiator that you have. I used a flex fan and spacer with no shroud. I live in southwest Louisiana and it works fine. I have a "Robert Shaw" thermostat and my temps are fine. that was with and without stock fenders. I did buy 2 flex fans because the first one came close to the tank on the bottom. I replaced it with the next size smaller and all has been well ever since.
Peter

Tommy_M

Basic User
City
Temecula
State
CA
Kind of on topic. During my my fuel injected 5.2 swap I ran into a similar issue. I wanted to fit a Ford Taurus fan. I nicely cut the grill to set the radiator has far forward as possible. Just enough to clear the hood realease. i cut the bottom of the grill so the radiator slides from the bottom into position. I am in the middle of making the bracket which bolts between the radiator/grill. It also will secure the fan and shroud.

I have not fabricated the spacer/shroud bracket yet. But you get the idea.

54cdc692-1.jpg

0096d3d0-1.jpg

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Heres my setup. Fan out of a 99 Cougar (same as Contour fan). Its tight. pushed the whole grill forward by adjusting the spreader bars that bolt to the top of the grill. There is may 3/8 to 1/2" clearance between water pump bolts and fan shroud.

DSC03954-1.jpg

This pic was before I moved the grill... couldnt easily get a belt past the water pump bolts...

DSC03953-1.jpg