• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Radiator options

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
I need to replace the radiator on my 8. Ive done research, but everything ive found are old threads. I want to upgrade to an aluminum radiator. Any good/affordable options? Thank you.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
What engine ? What is the reason for the upgrade? Electric fan ? BeCool ,Griffin, Wizard. I personally think aluminum is overrated .84' CJ7 has the original radiator and no leaks. I am not saying that aluminum isn't good but 35 years on the factory radiator . What's wrong with that?. I think it has its place. Higher H.P. V8 engines where cooling is an issue. Corrosion can be an issue. Do your research, there are a lot of cheap knockoff ones out there . Good luck!

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
One of the brackets has broken at the weld. I figured that if im going to replace it, I minus well put an aluminum one.

Bubuxio

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
Has anyone used Champion Cooling System radiators? They list a 3 row for around $250. Its listed for a cj7, not sure if the cj8 uses a different radiator?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I put in a Champion CC583B in my Scrambler about 3 years ago and its been a good radiator for me so far.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I had a Champion that worked fine until my fan got into it :rolleyes: Replaced it with one from ECP - Engineered Cooling Products that was highly recommended (switched to electric fan) and it is just beefier in all respects and has held up great.

I wouldn’t have a problem running another Champion though if money were an issue. Thinking about it for my FSJ this year.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I'm the unlucky one. Put one in my ford work truck around 1 1/2 yrs ago. Just starting to leak where tubs connect to the tank. Reviews are their good or about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs they start to leak.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Ordered the Summit SUM-384047 for a YJ project last year. Really nice welds, but the holes/inserts were not correct for the shroud.

Summerlovin

City
Allentown
State
Nj
I still have the stock 6 cylinder rad in mine that tries to cool a 360. Hot humid days in jersey make it even hottier. Driving it to the shore, that needle would be at the end of that white line. Another 1/8 of an inch to “H”. I was looking at that ecp rad. But now I’m waiting cuz when I was replaced my intake manifold gasket I found there was no thermostat in there!!!! I bought it as is. Dunno why there wouldn’t be a thermostat. But I just ordered one
Champion and ecp are made in China, I’d like to buy American made but they’re above my pay grade. If I do have to replace the rad, it’ll be an ecp