Radiator Replacement

SkiWill

Basic User
City
Salt Lake City
State
UT
So my radiator swap thread was a victim of the data losses a few months ago, but I thought I would share what I learned for future reference during my epic battles to not destroy radiators in my Jeep.

1. No large parts house, NAPA, RockAuto, Autozone, name it, carries the correct radiators for Scrambler with heavy duty cooling.
2. Spectrum and the other aftermarket manufacturers of which there are maybe 2-3 make radiators with the core centered in the tanks. This is not like the original which is offset.
3. The replacement fan clutches are also a 1/4" longer than stock.
4. The Omix shroud doesn't really fit properly.
4. This all comes together with a bump and your fan slicing your radiator (or at least it did for me).

What I did to solve this problem:

1. Swap to a 180 F thermostat from a 195 thermostat.
2. Use a POS Spectrum Radiator because that's what I could get.
3. Buy a 1" Flex-a-lite fan spacer.
4. Buy a Crown 4 blade fixed radiator fan blade.
5. Drive around just fine. The Jeep runs much better with the 180F thermostat and doesn't seem like it's going to overheat at all even though it has a smaller 4 blade fan and no shroud.

After destroying a couple radiators and having a "professional" mechanic shim my engine mount on one side to make everything "fit" I had posted on this forum and found several helpful replies that lead me to the solution listed above.

There was also mention of a company called CG&J radiators that makes a supposedly appropriate replacement radiator that would fit the HD cooling fan and fan clutch. It's part JP 3006. Here's the link: http://www.cgj.com/store/product/jp-3006/

There was also mention of a 1981 or earlier non-HD fan clutch being shorter and potentially more representative of the original 82 and later fan clutch.

So, for the purposes of saving some Scrambler owners some future grief, abandon all hope ye who enter here hoping to easily replace your stock HD cooling radiator and fan clutch. A 1" spacer, 4 blade fixed fan, and 180F thermostat are your answers. Or you can go with electric as long as it's not the Flex-A-Lite kit for Jeep CJs. It isn't even close to being able to fit properly. I tried that too. Alternatively, you can destroy a couple radiators figuring this out like me. Hope this helps.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
All excellent information. Thanks for putting all that together. I think I remember someone saying that earlier grills locate the radiator closer to the engine than the later grills do. Half an inch difference I believe.

SkiWill

Basic User
City
Salt Lake City
State
UT
I personally do not have any experience with them, but on my original thread a few months ago they were mentioned as highly regarded by one or two others. From the pricing I remember, it was not all that much more expensive than the Spectrum or rebadged Spectrum radiators like Crown and Omix. If I were buying a radiator at this point, I would definitely call them for some exact measurements.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I almost bought one. I called them regarding a what appeared to be difference in the outlet size vs. my original. I talked with them about their product in general and they followed up with an email saying the outlet size listed was a typo. Seems to be customer service oriented company, made in the USA, good reputation from what I can tell and they assured me it was an exact fit. I ended up finding a local shop that would rebuild my original, otherwise would have purchased from CG&J

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
They have LS swap radiators and FSJ radiators too! Thanks for the link!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Yes, the earlier fan clutches, say 1977-1980, are shorter. All of the replacement clutches are a hair longer then the OEM. So, a swap to the earlier clutch will get you some additional clearance.

I just purchased a copper/brass 2 core "HD" radiator from Summit. I plan on swapping it into my '85 Spring Special, which currently has a OEM 3 core radiator and a fan clutch, no clearance.

I ran into the same issues with the replacement 2 core "HD" radiators, the cores are centered in the brackets, not shoved all the way forward like the OEM radiators. I had an old OEM radiator repaired to use in my green Scrambler, cost around $470-$500.

I am hoping this $300 Summit radiator is built better then the Spectra's and OMIX ADA stuff :fingerscrossed:

This is an old post, but figured it was better to reply here then on a new thread.

I will post my findings when I get around to swapping in the radiator.

I have lot's of pictures/information on this same subject on my green Scrambler thread :thumbsup:

Starts around post #286. I kind of bounce between radiator/fan clutch stuff and fuel pump stuff, but lots of info/pictures:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/spankrjss-biloxi-ms-83-scrambler.23045/page-15

Last edited: