• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Radiator Replacement

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
So my upper inlet is cracked where it meets the core. In anticipation of it not being repaired or the repair not lasting a new radiator might be needed. Found two old threads on the subject but the links are no longer valid. Need a recommendation on where to look. Found a few on amazon but cap placement and fit were common themes. running 4.2 6. No A/C. No fan shroud. No fan clutch. Have about an inch of clearance between fan and radiator currently. It’s a stock 2 core which has been fine for cooling. Cap and lower inlet on drivers side. Upper is passenger side. Love how this happens after dropping 5k on new suspension of which everything is back ordered. Any guidance much appreciated!

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
A while back my radiator was leaking. I ended up having it rebuilt, but before I found a local shop to rebuild, was looking at cg&j. They have a bunch of different aluminum radiators for jeeps including this one:

I had them send me detailed measurements and it seemed like an exact fit. Expensive but made in the USA and appears to be good quality. I thought I had read another forum member had used one but can’t seem to find that thread.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
^^^ That's the one I bought for mine. Still in the box but well made.

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
Everyone thanks so much. Researching parts always takes me down a rabbit hole and get lost. My radiator shop says the repair is no problem so Ill try it out and see how it goes before dropping bigger money.
Thanks. Forgot to check out Summit.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I called 2 shops around me for getting a copper/ brass 1 fixed. 1 guy said $75, other guy said $200.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I don't even know of a Rad shop in the area anymore. There use to be many. Same with muffler shops. Midas and Meineke closed up. a few independents around,

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
Ended up taking the radiator to a radiator shop a few blocks away. $150 and it was boiled out, crack repaired, and painted. Finally reinstalled and seems to be working great.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
A while back my radiator was leaking. I ended up having it rebuilt, but before I found a local shop to rebuild, was looking at cg&j. They have a bunch of different aluminum radiators for jeeps including this one:

I had them send me detailed measurements and it seemed like an exact fit. Expensive but made in the USA and appears to be good quality. I thought I had read another forum member had used one but can’t seem to find that thread.

I may have been that other forum member that used CGJ -- I highly recommend them.

I bought from them in early 2019.

I can't find my old post (IIRC, a number of posts were lost a few years back when CJ-8.com did either a H/W or S/W switch).

For future readers... I'll say it again: I highly recommend CGJ.
- The customer service is outstanding.
- The aluminum radiator cooling is superb.
- The aluminum welding is robust.

HOWEVER, take this advice if you are seeking a replacement of the stock radiator for a V-belt A/C & Power Steering I6 engine configuration:
- Provide them with the clearance measurement you need between the core and mounting bracket surface before ordering their JP 3006 stock CJ replacement radiator
-- you may need them to make a modification (which they did for me at no charge).

My 2019 story of their excellent customer service:
When I received their JP 3006 radiator that is advertised as an exact replacement for a 1985 Jeep Scrambler: https://cgj.com/product/jp-3006-jeep-radiator , I discovered that my OEM radiator had more clearance on it's backside (2") than their JP3006 ( 1.5"). As a result, the CGJ JP3006 radiator was causing fan interference (or just about to hit the radiator if I started the engine).

The lower radiator hose neck was also at a steeper angle, but on the replacement I ended up using, I made it work.

But CGJ was very accommodating and easy to work with. They sent me 2nd radiator where they moved the cores forward 1/2".
Unfortunately, they also decreased the mounting brackets by 1/2" resulting in 0 (zero) net change to the setback.

Again, CGJ customer service was outstanding and went above and beyond taking care of me (I worked with Philip Cochran who may be the owner). They sent me a 3rd radiator.

Overall, I'm very, very happy with the aluminum radiator -- the cooling is superb.

Here are photos of the measurements I took of my stock radiator in an I6 V-belt with A/C and power steering:

Left: OEM. Right: first JP3006 CGJ sent:

20190601_120841.jpg

OEM backside clearance from radiator core of 2":

20190601_115026.jpg

Originally shipped CGJ JP 3006 backside clearance from radiator core of 1.5" (that is 0.5" less than the 2.0" on OEM above) :
(Corrected on subsequent replacement)

20190601_115154 - Copy.jpg

Example of how the lower radiator hose neck was at a steeper angle, but on the replacement I ended up using, I was able to make it work.

20190601_121642_Burst01.jpg