• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Really? Steering line R/R

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Do I really need to pull the radiator and grill just to change the #($*&^ PS hoses? Any tricks Im not seeing?

thanks

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
After working on my Hondas over the years I've learned that someone lucky enough to have tiny hands as a mechanic would be like having webbed feet as a swimmer.

The lines can be changed without taking all that crap out, but honestly it's easier to pull the stuff than it is to try to do it with the crap in place.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
It can be done but it isn't easy... Getting the old line loose is the hardest part. I'd give that a shot first and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, then go ahead and pull the grill/radiator.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Or if they will undo then you could undo the steering box bracket and drop the box down to get the room??
Personally i would drain the radiator, dont think the grill needs to come out though unless you have proper sausage fingers!:)

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
fudge, thats what I was afraid y'all would say... I sure didnt see another way. Maybe this is a good time to put in the new (2 or 3 years new..) MORE steering box mount too..... scope creep already.....

Leaning towards just selling it as is and moving on

thanks

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
When I changed the pressure line on my scrambler the fitting on the steering box was too tight for the open end of the wrench (started deforming). I took a short cut and used a chisel to cut the line about an inch from the fitting, then used the box end of the wrench and was able to remove the old fitting without rounding anything off. The nice part of the chisel is you get a clean cut.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
thanks, did you use just a std cold chisel? I dont know how Id get a hammer swing in there to use the chisel, Maybe an air chisel would work, wish mine still worked, May be moot, Im back to thinking the hemorrage is the input shaft on the box so it may have to come out anyway. Hopefully today's clean off and refill will give me a better idea on where exactly it leaks since I cant keep enough in it while running to go anywhere, plus it smokes like crazy.

Yeah, Im thinking seriously about getting rid of it, its got to many annoying little issues that I cant make myself work on, I dont get to use it, even as my DD anymore given all the little warts, I only get to EJS and maybe a week in the fall if it doesnt interfere with someone elses schedule, which it will now that the parasite is going back to school again, and its a dinosaur at EJS. 42 years in a CJ should be enough, hopefully it will go away more easily than th e other PITA Ive had for 42 years

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
As odd as it sounds I used a wood chisel. They are sharper and the metal on the tubes is thin and cuts very easily. The other nice thing about wood chisels is the handles are longer.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
ahhhh great idea, I hadnt thought of that type of chisel, I can see how that would work pretty well

thanks

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
ahhhh great idea, I hadnt thought of that type of chisel, I can see how that would work pretty well

thanks
Have you tried a flare nut wrench yet?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
My secret weapon is a Irwin model 4LW 4" Locking Wrench (no it's not a regular vice grip). Best tool Ive found for difficult tube-nut fittings (steering lines, brake lines, etc...)
41jfIoki0YL-1.jpg

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I just changed my pressure line earlier this week. It was a PITA but I managed to do it without removing the radiator and grill. I'm not sure I could have done it without it being on the two post lift though. I got the old hose off alright but it took me over a hour to get the new hose and nut to line up correct to get it started. I just about filled up my cuss jar too.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Trust....Bless your soul you have had two PITA's around for 42 years. Here's what you do. Lock both of them up in the garage for two hours then open the garage door and tell us which one you would rather keep around. My guess is one of them is going to be madder than a hornets nest.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
thanks ZR, one pita has the garage far to full of her detritis to do that so it'll take some doing to get one of them in there, the other pita will need smaller tires to get through the door. but I like the notion! Want to help herding them in?

appears to have been rendered moot, it appears that both the pressure hose and box input shaft are leaking so I'll just drop the box and do it that way.