• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rear fender well

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
Does anyone have a source for the rear fender well on the scrambler? Not the plastic flares, but the metal flare that attaches to the wheel well. I tried making my own but it’s a lot more than I want to take on,

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Good morning!
Long story short, I was able to fix mine with using aftermarket front fenders and cutting them and piecing them together.
Short of that, I do know that there is an aftermarket (or was) side you could get, but when I saw the quality of it, the stamping wasn't a stamping, it was a hammering over a buck.

So, that is an option as well I guess... make your own wooden buck and hammer over and make a new part... or make a 2 piece and put it in a press. Not sure what tools/options you have.

Good luck... it isn't a ton of fun either way.

This shows more of the pictures of cutting up the front fender and fitting.
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/sjscrambler-getting-started.47506/page-48
cb

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
That’s a great idea. Unfortunately my fender wells are too far gone for a patch, I need the complete fender on both sides and it looks like it’s take at least 4-6 front fenders to make up enough pieces. I tried the hammer and wooden buck and aside from the amount of work it took for even a small sections, I couldn’t get the exact profile. It was close but the corners weren’t as sharp as original.
1597681759640.jpeg
I may have to just do it in small sections and piece it together, which I was trying to avoid. The only other option I have is hoping someone is cutting out this section on a good body or parting out a good tub. This is the last piece I need to finish off my body and it sucks not being able to get it done

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, I think I used 3 front fenders... but that was the cheapest alternative compared to waiting around for a tub to be scrapped or a new one to come along.

I also got a scratch/dent sale on the fenders, so the cost was a bit less.

Good luck.

cb