Rear Heater? Would it work?

Sfisher

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
Here is the situation. I'm adding a third row to the Scrambler so it can be the family wheeler. I have three small kids that I want to take with me wheeling along with the wife. I have a brand new aftermarket heater:

www.quadratec.com/products/92060_100.htm

that I bought several years ago on another project. It is designed to be plumbed into the coolant like your typical in dash heater. So I was thinking that I may be able to add this heater to the rear to add heating to the little ones. I could wire the switch to the front so I would control it from the dash. Then maybe in the summer I could remove it yet keep the plumbing in place and make it flow through.

So my question is do you think that this would work first? Second, should it be plumbed in front of or behind the primary behind dash heater?

What are your guys thoughts?

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
Sure, it would work. Thats how the rear heat works in most vans and Suburbans. But, instead of removing it when the temps warm back up, what about plumbing in a shut-off valve. Nothing fancy, just a ball-cock valve should work nicely. Also, when you run the lines to the rear, I'd use hard lines for the long part of the run. Just make sure that you tuck the lines up so that they don't get damaged. As for where to plumb it in, I'd plumb it in parellel not in series and put t-connectors in the heater hoses. BTW, 94-96 GM fullsize cars with the LT-1 or L-99 (5.7L & 4.3L MPI V-8) have a really nice T-fitting in the heater hoses.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Agreed on putting it in parallel, otherwise you're trying to heat front or back with "pre-cooled" coolant.

I also like the simplicity of just putting a shutoff valve in the line.

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
Oh, and if you are interested, I could probably dig up the P/N for the heater tee, as I had to replace one a while back. My driver is a 96 caprice classic w/ a 4.3L V-8 and 209,000 miles and still looks and runs great.:)