rear main seal

sommy36

rust adds character?
City
alma
State
mi
Can anyone tell me a step by step method and tools needed to replace rear main seal on an 83 258. I'm going to be installing a newer auto trans (or have the shop do it anyway). I've had some estimates of around $500 to do this. I think it's the seal because oil drips about 1 drip per second when the motor running? It drips from where the motor and trans come together. Also the oil level is about 1 quart high.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Sweet link!

That's a great write up. Chiltons is a good source as well, oh and Haynes too. I had three different manuals when my Jeep was a stocker, Two Chiltons and one Haynes. Seemed like where one left off the other picked up....unfortunately. :p

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
I found that link on this site:
http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_forviolence/

A good site with ALOT of links to different write-ups on mods, specs, and alot of other good information! A good reference site, if you don't already have it bookmarked.

Good luck with the change. My one piece of advice would be to get the one piece oilpan gasket. I had a bugger of a time getting that multi-piece gasket on. I hope it doesn't leak, cause I don't want to do it again, but if I do, I will go with the one piece gasket!

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
It's a dirty job....

I changed the seals on my 8...It took me about 6 hours start to finish....It's not a real complex thing. The only special tool required was a torque wrench. Take it to the spray car wash before you do it. You'll still get greasy as hell, but it'll help some...