• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rear Seat Install

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
If the seat belts for the rear seat are installed correctly, they'll be independent of the seat brackets. The seat belts will hold the passengers in the event of a crash, not the brackets.

I was able to install rear seat and seat belts without removing the gas tank. I have a 15 gallon tank, but I don't think that makes a difference.
Thanks I’m trying to install the rear seat and need to remove the tank. That being said do you have a part # or picture of the seat belt bracket?

I am planning a 3 point seat belt install off of rhe roll bar but I still need to mount the female part of the buckle to the floor.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Muelleski, you are using the original style roll bar or something else? Are you leaving the bulk head installed or will it be removed? Now I see your previous picture. I installed a YJ roll bar so I could have 3 points in the back (I have the same concerns as you - lap belts aren't the safest thing). The female part of the buckle will be bolted to the floor, and your right - you don't want to use a nutsert for that. I used a bolt with a HUGE fender washer to spread the load. It was under a reinforcement bar also. The roll part of the seat belt was mounted to the roll bar.

I'm still a little confused as to why you need to remove the gas tank. When I did this installation, I wasn't anywhere close.

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/all-new-interior-seats-roll-bar-carpet-console.48745/#post-400893

Last edited:

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Just an additional thought...There's always the option of a 4 or 5 point harness for the rear seat. It wouldn't be all that difficult if you are adding the bar in the back. Might be a pain getting in and out of...

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
FWIW, I don't think that there's enough structure in the rear of the cage in that green scrambler (which is funny because it's a $100k custom built rig from the ground up). If you're going to be doing a custom full cage, you want to be sure it's enough to stand up if needed. The rear of the cage in that green one looks like it would fold right over if the jeep rolled with any force.

The joke is "Needs more triangulation!" but in the case of that green one's cage, it sure looks to be true (in the rear only, the front looks ok)

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Muelleski, you are using the original style roll bar or something else? Are you leaving the bulk head installed or will it be removed? Now I see your previous picture. I installed a YJ roll bar so I could have 3 points in the back (I have the same concerns as you - lap belts aren't the safest thing). The female part of the buckle will be bolted to the floor, and your right - you don't want to use a nutsert for that. I used a bolt with a HUGE fender washer to spread the load. It was under a reinforcement bar also. The roll part of the seat belt was mounted to the roll bar.

I'm still a little confused as to why you need to remove the gas tank. When I did this installation, I wasn't anywhere close.

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/all-new-interior-seats-roll-bar-carpet-console.48745/#post-400893

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
FWIW, I don't think that there's enough structure in the rear of the cage in that green scrambler (which is funny because it's a $100k custom built rig from the ground up). If you're going to be doing a custom full cage, you want to be sure it's enough to stand up if needed. The rear of the cage in that green one looks like it would fold right over if the jeep rolled with any force.

The joke is "Needs more triangulation!" but in the case of that green one's cage, it sure looks to be true (in the rear only, the front looks ok)
See the pics. Again my plan is to mount the back of the bracket through the factory hole (see the hole w light coming through). That puts the first mounting hole 9.25” on center back which is over the gas tank. I don’t see how you can mount this without removing the tank. If I used the front hole on the front bracket the rear bracket would be even further back

Attachments

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Just an additional thought...There's always the option of a 4 or 5 point harness for the rear seat. It wouldn't be all that difficult if you are adding the bar in the back. Might be a pain getting in and out of...
Thought about that but decided 3 point makes more sense. This is going to be a family fun rig. Light off-roading, beach cruiser, car shows, ice cream rides, etc

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member

Well interested you should bring that up my buddy who is helping me w the cage (he has the tube bender) said the same thing yesterday. I told him he was making me feel like a bad dad , now you are too! I guess my guilty conscience is getting to win over my want for a clean look.

I read the article on that 100k CJ8 hard to fathom that kind of coin. Pretty cool w the desiel 6.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Just got to say this is a great forum and community. I have belonged to so many over the years of different rides and everyone here so far is very helpful and nondouchebagery

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
So there seems to be a misunderstanding of what you are trying to accomplish.
It appears to me that you have the seat laid out so the front pivoting brackets are bolted to the factory holes for the rear seat bracket.
I base this on these two pics.
The first one shows the front mounting holes (right side of pic) near the bed step down to the cab, and the rear mounting holes near the fender wells. Also, note the center hole that would be the attachment point for the fixed end of the seat belt.
In the second photo it appears that you have the front brackets positioned at the original rear holes.
If this is what you are trying to accomplish for more leg room, I can see where fuel tank would cause an issue with the rear latch position.
Could you make a 3/8" steel plate like you were suggesting , but instead bolt it to the original center hole and extend it back to the rear latch, and add an additional hole that you can access (without removing the tank) with adequate backing? tub.JPG pic8.jpeg

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks that definitely clarifies things but doesn’t makes sense. Where would your legs fit w the original mount points for the front seat basically against the rear of the cab???

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
And yes that’s my plan for position. I’m just going to drop the tank and weld custom plates w nuts welded on the plates to the bottom of the bed. Then I can remove the seat and brackets when I want.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
Well interested you should bring that up my buddy who is helping me w the cage (he has the tube bender) said the same thing yesterday. I told him he was making me feel like a bad dad , now you are too! I guess my guilty conscience is getting to win over my want for a clean look.
Yeah, sorry, not really what I was trying to do, I just wanted you to get to a place where you're spending the money and time as smartly as possible. You don't need to turn it into a jungle gym, there are lots of great cage examples on here.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks that definitely clarifies things but doesn’t makes sense. Where would your legs fit w the original mount points for the front seat basically against the rear of the cab???
Those seat mount holes are the same as in a CJ7, designed to be used without the bulkhead.

I think you'll be happy with your chosen placement.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Yeah, sorry, not really what I was trying to do, I just wanted you to get to a place where you're spending the money and time as smartly as possible. You don't need to turn it into a jungle gym, there are lots of great cage examples on here.
Thanks for the input I started looking at images last night to see what I can do to make it safer. The entire purpose of the family cage is to protect the precious cargo so I want to do it right!

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
And yes that’s my plan for position. I’m just going to drop the tank and weld custom plates w nuts welded on the plates to the bottom of the bed. Then I can remove the seat and brackets when I want.
Those seat mount holes are the same as in a CJ7, designed to be used without the bulkhead.

I think you'll be happy with your chosen placement.
That completely makes sense now. I plan on removing the bulkhead so maybe I should do that before I mount the seats there might be enough room for the little ones the way it is which would make more room for stuff and the 100lb dog..

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
One more thought - You don't necessarily need that center lock on your rear seat. I left mine out. The only problem is if you ever hit the brakes and there's no one in the seat, it may want to tumble a little. But if someone is in the seat, the seat belts will hold them and the seat in place.