Rear seat mounts missing

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
So, I went to bolt my rear seat in and realized that I have holes, but no nuts under them. Since my children will be riding in the rear (and the seat belts are mounted to the seat), I am looking for the safest way to mount the rear seat (and I may move it back a foot or so too). I was originally thinking of tack welding a long strip of 1/4" steel under the bed and drilling new holes through it, welding nuts and washers to the steel and bolting down. However, now I am worried about trapping water and causing rust...I just want to make sure that if this thing gets in an accident, the kids don't go flying...

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
There wasn't really much holding the seat down to begin with, so your method sounds like an improvement on stock. On my wife's '7, one of the factory nuts was stripped, so I simply used a longer bolt than stock and threaded a washer and nut on the underside of the old one.
On Hayduke's Scrambler, he installed a halfback seat from a CJ-5 as his rear seat. He used 3/8" bolts with fender washers between the nut and the underside of the body, and didn't have any problems wheeling it that way.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
What Zodiac said...long bolt and 2" washer is what I used.

Truck

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Are you sure you don't have the holes? On mine, they are filled with little plastic plugs. They are a few inches back from the ledge where the bed floor begins.

I mounted my rear seat this Saturday (just finished converting from half-cab to Postal top), and mine (and '83) had the seat mount holes and the seat belt holes already.

However... I drilled new holes about 9" back from the stock seat mount holes to give the back seat plenty of legroom. I used large stainless fender washers on the underside. Oh, and BTW, I mounted a YJ fold-and-tumble seat, not a stock CJ seat.

I was able to reuse the seat belt holes, in spite of moving the seat way back.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Look underside...there might be square "nuts" there, but the threads not tapped. Jeep had a habit of not tapping the seat belt and seat bracket holes if the vehicle was not factory equipped with these options. I think that's why some of the factory hardware, when removed, looks like self tapping fine thread 7/16 bolts.

You may just need to invest in a 7/16 fine tap.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Mine were already tapped, but years of crud, rust, etc. required that I run a tap through them to clean up the threads and make them usable. 7/16-20.

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
I welded some nuts to a piece of metal then tacked it on after the seat was bolted in. Makes it easier to remove seat brackets for winter months. I moved mine back about a foot because I leave the bulkhead in when I remove the half top. Ideally it could have been a little closer so when its folded up it rests against the bulkhead and not standing up freely. You have to move the catches back too if you're using the flip-n-fold. I also made some brackets to mount the seat belts to the rear adjusters. Simplifies pulling the seat out, belts and all.

Blzbro

S.O.A. Member
City
Centerville
State
IN
Mine are like Randyzzz's. The square "nuts" are there, but are not tapped. Even if you tap them I would use long enough bolt to put a nut on!

Last edited: