Rear Step Bumper Options?

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Hey fellas, I'm in the process of a frame off on an 83 CJ8, and would like to put a rear step bumper, as I really like the look. Not so interested in the OEM chrome (although they look great), but something that would be durable, practical, and fit the CJ8 'look'. In preparation, I'll be installing one of Chief Wahoo's x-members once the tub comes off. I saw Pilot's fabbed bumper thread, and looks great, but was looking more along the lines of a truck style bumper. If you have any suggestions or pictures, I'd sure appreciate it-

Best,
Hoover

Last edited:

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Actually, I have no idea what a white oem step bumper would look like, Barry. Google brings up a multitude of variations- do you have an image you could post? Also, this cj8 will be returning to the original Jamaican Beige, and was thinking a black step bumper would be a great contrast and match the bedlining.

Hoov

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Yes, I like the way that bumper looks! Thanks for the image- I'd like to find a bumper like that, but think it'd look better in black on my rig. Are those available aftermarket, or would I need to start scrounging jeep salvage yards?

I'm pretty well versed on sourcing parts for those CJ7's, but thinking about a step bumper has me in uncharted territory.

Hoover

Scramblin Man

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
No one makes an aftermarket bumper like the oem. There were some aftermarket step bumpers made for CJ’s like what was put on pickups in the 70’s but finding one would be difficult. The step bumper posted by Ag is actually for a J-truck since it has the vertical lip at the top.

Edit : Belizeit has one.

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Heck yeah, that's the style I'm looking for! Right on, Belizeit! I like the old school diamond plate, and it looks very sturdy. Are you offering it up for sale, perhaps?

Am I to understand you are on CJ-8.com while the Saints are playing? Not looking too good so far in their opener, but cheering for them nonetheless. In the same vein, I cheer for a rather unpopular team in this part of Alabama. Geaux tigers.

Hoover

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have to admit when I saw your location and name, first thing I thought was " Oh Nooooooo :) Yeah I'm pretty good at watching a pre season game and looking at my iPad at the same time. After all it is just pre season. Anyway the bumper. When I bought my jeep 35 years ago it came with none. I knew I needed some protection back there real bad. Found it in the JC Whitney catalog back in the day when there weren't many places to find after market items. The catalog said HD but it was more robust than I thought. If someone hits that they will sustain damage I love that bumper and really miss using it. The problem was the original spare tire carrier cracked my body. Carried my spare in the bed until my daughter got old enough to ride and I put the rear seat back in. So I bought a bumper with swing out tire carrier. Not nearly the protection and didn't realize that until it was installed. Anyway it's just sitting around here. Almost gave it away to a friend a few years ago that was fixing up a jeep. I would consider letting go to a fellow Tigers fan. Geaux Tigers

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’m a huge Tiger fan, at least when they are rolling over the tide!

Geaux Tigers!

(Not as much of a Tiger fan when playing my Aggies, Gig ‘Em!)

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
I have to admit when I saw your location and name, first thing I thought was " Oh Nooooooo :) Yeah I'm pretty good at watching a pre season game and looking at my iPad at the same time. After all it is just pre season. Anyway the bumper. When I bought my jeep 35 years ago it came with none. I knew I needed some protection back there real bad. Found it in the JC Whitney catalog back in the day when there weren't many places to find after market items. The catalog said HD but it was more robust than I thought. If someone hits that they will sustain damage I love that bumper and really miss using it. The problem was the original spare tire carrier cracked my body. Carried my spare in the bed until my daughter got old enough to ride and I put the rear seat back in. So I bought a bumper with swing out tire carrier. Not nearly the protection and didn't realize that until it was installed. Anyway it's just sitting around here. Almost gave it away to a friend a few years ago that was fixing up a jeep. I would consider letting go to a fellow Tigers fan. Geaux Tigers
It certainly looks like a *stout* bumper, and exactly the style I'm seeking. I sincerely appreciate your consideration of passing it along to a fellow LSU fan! Thanks, Belizeit! Ironically, I was talking about JC Whitney yesterday with a guy out at the shop, but haven't seen one of their catalogs in years. I'm planning to use my stock swing out tire carrier on this build, and hoping that it will support a 33' BFG without cracking anything. Although my CJ7 holds a 31' tire on the stock carrier, the additional brackets/tie-ins on the CJ8 make me optimistic it could support the 33 without issue. Hoping, anyway.

Yep, disappointing opener, but you're right, it's the preseason. I was even sporting my Sir Saint tee. As for LSU, I was in BR between 98 and 06 wrapping up graduate school. One of my closest friends is originally from RR, and his family is still there. Haven't been there in years, but made several trips while I was in school. It always seemed like the 'quiet' and 'normal' part of NOLA, if there is such a place. :)

Hoov

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It certainly looks like a *stout* bumper, and exactly the style I'm seeking. I sincerely appreciate your consideration of passing it along to a fellow LSU fan! Thanks, Belizeit! Ironically, I was talking about JC Whitney yesterday with a guy out at the shop, but haven't seen one of their catalogs in years. I'm planning to use my stock swing out tire carrier on this build, and hoping that it will support a 33' BFG without cracking anything. Although my CJ7 holds a 31' tire on the stock carrier, the additional brackets/tie-ins on the CJ8 make me optimistic it could support the 33 without issue. Hoping, anyway.

Yep, disappointing opener, but you're right, it's the preseason. I was even sporting my Sir Saint tee. As for LSU, I was in BR between 98 and 06 wrapping up graduate school. One of my closest friends is originally from RR, and his family is still there. Haven't been there in years, but made several trips while I was in school. It always seemed like the 'quiet' and 'normal' part of NOLA, if there is such a place. :)

Hoov
You're going to want some support pieces to prevent that anchor from pulling the carrier out of the tub. 33s are hefty, I wouldn't trust the OEM carrier without some support.

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
You're going to want some support pieces to prevent that anchor from pulling the carrier out of the tub. 33s are hefty, I wouldn't trust the OEM carrier without some support.
Thanks for the warning, and advice, Walkerhound. The BFG 33x10.5 specs at 50.7 lbs plus the weight of the 15x8 wagon wheel, which should be about 70 lbs total, by my estimate. A friend has the same setup on his CJ7 stock carrier, and hasn’t had problems, yet anyway. Regardless, I’ll investigate some ways to strengthen my carrier when that time comes.

Hoov

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Thanks for the warning, and advice, Walkerhound. The BFG 33x10.5 specs at 50.7 lbs plus the weight of the 15x8 wagon wheel, which should be about 70 lbs total, by my estimate. A friend has the same setup on his CJ7 stock carrier, and hasn’t had problems, yet anyway. Regardless, I’ll investigate some ways to strengthen my carrier when that time comes.

Hoov
I'm sure you've seen some of the simple things on jeepforum.com - basically a rectangle of thick steel to try to distribute the force on the inside of the tub.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Mine came with a small piece of metal on the inside but not enough for even my 30" tire I had at the time. Probably need a big plate.

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
I'll definitely look closer at those two upper support brackets. I've got plenty of metal lying about and could can fab up a support plate pretty easily. If I sandwich, say, 1/4 plate behind the brackets, would that significantly throw off the geometry since the brackets also attach at a lower point on the rear support? Thinking I could get away with that, but will check tomorrow when I get back out to the shop-

Hoov

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Seems like that would be plenty. Been a long time but seems like mine was only 1/16 X 1 X 2 The crack is actually on the driver side and was above the plate support image.jpeg

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Thanks for the feedback- Took a closer look at the brackets that the oem tire carrier bolts to on the inside of the tub on the cj8, and they are much more robust than those on my 7. In fact, I had the same crack pattern emerge on my 7 (just like Belizeit shows above), and after repairing the sheet metal, was able to easily enlarge the footprint with a piece of plate steel sandwiched between the bracket on the inside of the tub. That seemed to solve my issue there.

Given that the cj8 brackets are 'boxed', and that they are bolted to the tub in three locations (four, including the tire carrier mounting points), they seem to be a big improvement over the 7, strength-wise. Regardless, adding a piece of plate metal back there would be the responsible thing to do. Was this type of bracket standard on all the CJ8's?

Hoov

Attachments

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thanks for the feedback- Took a closer look at the brackets that the oem tire carrier bolts to on the inside of the tub on the cj8, and they are much more robust than those on my 7. In fact, I had the same crack pattern emerge on my 7 (just like Belizeit shows above), and after repairing the sheet metal, was able to easily enlarge the footprint with a piece of plate steel sandwiched between the bracket on the inside of the tub. That seemed to solve my issue there.

Given that the cj8 brackets are 'boxed', and that they are bolted to the tub in three locations (four, including the tire carrier mounting points), they seem to be a big improvement over the 7, strength-wise. Regardless, adding a piece of plate metal back there would be the responsible thing to do. Was this type of bracket standard on all the CJ8's?

Hoov
Brackets used on all CJ-8s with a tailgate.