Rearward "BRAT" seat install

City
Bethesda
State
MD
I can finally fit the wife & kids in my half-cab CJ8!

My overarching goal of this install was to avoid ANY new penetrations to the bed so that the Jeep stays original. This is a 100% bolt-on solution that can be removed.
The bench seat will fold down and tumble forward making a decent area to put stuff between the bulk head and seat.

Seat- BESTOP TRAILMAX II FOLD & TUMBLE REAR BENCH SEAT FABRIC SPICE from Morris 4x4.com

Belts- Seat Belt BELT3B 1985 Jeep Scrambler Laredo from Auotpartswarehouse.com. These were connected to the existing penetration from the cage to the cab that secures the driver and passenger belts.

Frame- my local shop fabricated a frame that would overlay the existing four penetrations in the bed and then accept the hardware and bolts from the bench.

20181115_100730 - Copy.jpg

20181115_100852 - Copy.jpg

20181115_135637 - Copy.jpg
20181115_141021 - Copy.jpg
20181115_140931 - Copy.jpg
20181115_140913 - Copy.jpg

Great weather last weekend. This week, not so much.

IMG_2228 - Copy.jpg

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
That is AWESOME! I've been kicking that concept around for a couple of years now... I really like your mount design! :cheers:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Looks like it turned out great. I've thought that it would be nice to be able to mount a back seat facing forward without the bulkhead in (running full softop) and facing rearward when running the hardtop & bulkhead. But I would want seat belt mounts for both configurations too. Well done. (y)

City
Bethesda
State
MD
Looks like it turned out great. I've thought that it would be nice to be able to mount a back seat facing forward without the bulkhead in (running full softop) and facing rearward when running the hardtop & bulkhead. But I would want seat belt mounts for both configurations too. Well done. (y)
I prefer to keep the bulkhead / half top on all the time, so this was my only option.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Looks like a good build. HAve the kids test fit the seats? Are the head rests usable? I had that same seat in mine when I had a full top. The kids grew too tall for it quickly.

Either way, I hope you get lots of good use from it for as long as possible. Kids grow up fast! Enjoy it while you can.

City
Bethesda
State
MD
Looks like a good build. HAve the kids test fit the seats? Are the head rests usable? I had that same seat in mine when I had a full top. The kids grew too tall for it quickly.

Either way, I hope you get lots of good use from it for as long as possible. Kids grow up fast! Enjoy it while you can.
Yes. Kids fit in great and the belt goes over their shoulder nicely. Head rests are appropriate to height for now.

I realize that they will outgrow this soon but like you said...I’ll enjoy it as long as possible.

My kids are 10, 8 and 18 months so there should be someone willing to sit back there for a while longer.