Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
What is the best kit for going through a D 300 no gear issue just starting to leak every where.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Novak master rebuild kit # 300mr-2 for long output or # 300mr-1 for short output . I have not used the paper gaskets just gasket silicone . Put it on all threads as well.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Thanks I was leaning towards Novak. Now I have to figure out short or long and if I changed the out put or not been a looonnnggg time ago when I did any changes. I didn't keep a book on the Scrambler like I am doing on the CJ 6.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
I think the long is something like 6.5" from mounting surface on the case to half way through the u-joint.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
my D300 leaks as well- especially in 4wd. How hard are these kits to install? I haven’t done any gear or transmission work, but am interested to learn.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Not hard at all. You just need a press , clearance gauges and an indicator . There are some tricks to getting around having a press but all have potential to damage IMO. The rest are just normal tools. The Dana300 is actually pretty simple . There are some pretty good videos out there and the NOVAK instructions aren't bad either. Pay close attention to end play and clearance.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Easy to tell wich output you have. The long output has an eccentric speedometer gear that clocks to adjust for gear size. The short output does not.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Long output case is around 5 1/2" and short output case is around 3 1/2"

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I have the press, feeler gauges, mics, and an indicator. So I think I have the tools and knowledge to follow instructions. And a tablet to take to the shop for the videos.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Sounds like you are set up . Shouldn't be any problem. 4-6 hours if you clean all parts after breaking down.