• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Recommendation for Diesel Swap?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Never finished researching this years ago. Was interested in the 5 cyl for a while. Couldn't get around the oil pan configuration and the high milage.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Well you are going to have a problem here... The OM606 is a 6 cylinder engine and the OM602 is a 5 cylinder engine. So swapping out the pump will present a little bit of a problem regarding timing.:LOL:
I meant a 606 with a 603 pump from DieselPumpUK with all the goodies. You're just too keen and caught my typo. But unfortunately, I'm broke and haven't had any luck finding a decent donor in my price range.

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
Never finished researching this years ago. Was interested in the 5 cyl for a while. Couldn't get around the oil pan configuration and the high mileage.

Not a lot of OM 602's over here. Mine was even more rare because it was a motor that was never imported with a "CE" pump, inner-cooled, and direct injected! This was the same motor used in the Unimog U100L (A VERY impressive piece of hardware).
FYI" I took off the pan and cut a 45 degree slice out of the front and TIG'd a 10mm plate in place. No issue what so ever with the oil pump, and clears the front differential.

I meant a 606 with a 603 pump from DieselPumpUK with all the goodies. You're just too keen and caught my typo. But unfortunately, I'm broke and haven't had any luck finding a decent donor in my price range.

I figured as much... Just wanted to poke a little fun!

Yes' there is DieselPumpUK and several others "across'd the pond", however I just have to give GREAT praise for Larry Downum and his certified Bosch "pump house" DIESEL INJECTION SYSTEMS, just down the road from me in Santa Maris, CA! He and his crew are so "on the ball" for consumer diesels (wana'be trucks), semi's, and "AG" tractors. But also because they understand kooks like me that want diesel performance from our special rigs and who have tried to collect the best European small engines! Through my connections in Europe I have "hooked" Larry up with most of the top notch European pump houses! AND he can can deliver here in America!

AND I would bet money that!