Repaint Cost (from a shop)

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Hello,

Wondering if anybody has any estimates on repainting a CJ8 at a shop? I would kinda like to have an idea before I take a day off to drive around and get quotes.

Jeep has only a bit of rust repair needed over the rear fenders in the flat sections and a bit of hammering here and there. But the old paint is peeling/chipping off too easy and I would only feel comfortable stripping it all the way back (interior looks fine for just a sanding job to rough it up...)

I would do it myself if I had a place but I am in an apartment now. I repainted my last Jeep fully stripping the old paint and then base and clear coat on exterior only probably had 50-60hrs of my labour in it but I was learning... I want to do a full repaint inside and out on my Scrambler so it means a lot of tear down on stripping out the interior. Does 40hrs sound about right for tear down and reassembly to repaint the interior (it is a lot of electrical stuff remember)? Engine bay is fine and belly should be fine (well would like to do a frame off but don't have the money to pay somebody to do that and don't have neither the time or place to do it myself...).

So I am kinda basing my guestimate on 80hrs labour at $60/hr so that brings it to about 5k to repaint. Wondering if anybody has experience though to tell me no it would be more like 10k in which case I need to be looking for a house to rent when the lease is due...

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
The cost depends a lot on quality. I really good body man that will fix every little defect is going to spend more time to block sand blah blah blah. Go that route if you are looking for a show car. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are building a trail rig, tape off the big items, wire wheel off the bad stuff, buy some rattle cans and get to work.

I am a big proponent of "If you don't have a decent garage/shop to work in, don't attempt any significant restoration or repair work".

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Is your Jeep currently original paint? This will have a big impact on cost because original paint is a best case scenario for prepping. If you have a second coat then any good shop will want t strip that down to the factory paint before anything else and the adds a lot of cost to the labor portion. Plus if you have a repainted Jeep then there could be body filler all over the place that you may not know about. Just some thoughts.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
The cost depends a lot on quality. I really good body man that will fix every little defect is going to spend more time to block sand blah blah blah. Go that route if you are looking for a show car. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are building a trail rig, tape off the big items, wire wheel off the bad stuff, buy some rattle cans and get to work.

I am a big proponent of "If you don't have a decent garage/shop to work in, don't attempt any significant restoration or repair work".
Yeah not looking for a show car but I want to go with decent paint. Dents and dings I don't care too much about, a few of the small ones are easily straightened out reasonably well with a wood block and a hammer (can get to the inside). I would rather have some somewhat inconspicuous dents than body filler so I am thinking most of the work is in stripping the paint.

Is your Jeep currently original paint? This will have a big impact on cost because original paint is a best case scenario for prepping. If you have a second coat then any good shop will want t strip that down to the factory paint before anything else and the adds a lot of cost to the labor portion. Plus if you have a repainted Jeep then there could be body filler all over the place that you may not know about. Just some thoughts.
It is all original paint but severely damaged by the sun and peeling/cracking/chipping. I few areas have lost as much as half a square foot of paint.

So does my estimate sound about right for:

Stripping the exterior paint, welding a couple spots, like an hour of smacking with a hammer, and exterior repaint (decent quality paint but I'll buff it if needed).
Disassembling the interior, peeping, and repaint.
Reassembly of interior.

Main goal is I don't want it to be black (going a light sage green body and whitish cream top). I want the paint to protect the vehicle from actually developing major rust as well (yes I know I am in Arizona now but will I still be here in 5yrs is the question...). At least until I can settle down and find the time in say 10yrs to do a full frame off.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'd say $5k is in the ballpark for what you're looking for. Might be on the low end depending on how much rust repair is really needed.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
I'd say $5k is in the ballpark for what you're looking for. Might be on the low end depending on how much rust repair is really needed.
Thanks,

I'll take it around for some estimates since it seems to be in the ballpark. First I need to get a written work scope though so I can make sure me and the shop understand what is included and what isn't. Hopefully if I throw some contingency on it and say no more than 7k it works out. Much more than that and the trade off to renting a house to do the work myself factors in. The other alternative is to have them do part and I do the rest; say split it where I disassemble the interior and reassemble it and they do the rest...

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Is do as much disassembly as possible myself in order to save money. They are going to want to do their own prep/prime of the metal before paint so don't worry about that.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
X2 on the teardown yourself. When I drove my CJ7 to my painter, it had the driver's seat, steering wheel - and that's it. When I got there I took out the seat and the tail lights, headlights, and markers. Saved my painter time and me $$.

For my Scrambler I took just the body parts to him which made for even less work for him. I know this isn't an option for you but just examples of less work for them = less $$ for you.

$5k is a good place to start but I would think you'll end up around the $7k mark.