• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement bolts

fourwheelinj1

CJ-8 Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I am getting ready to start the reassembly of my scrambler and I will be replacing many of the factory bolts due to rust/broken/missing etc. Since I don't want to be running to the store every five minutes I have been thinking of buying a big nut,bolt,washer kit offline that has lots of bolts in a variety of sizes to try to keep trips to store to a minimum. The kits seem to be mainly sold in Grade 5 and Grade 8. Obviously the grade 8 are stronger but are they needed? I think grade 8 has a more corrosive resistant coating too. So the question is if you were doing a frame off rebuild would you use grade 5 or spend more for the grade 8?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Not really an answer, but I went with one of the Totally Stainless sets. Other than roll bar, I wouldn't think that you would need a "strong bolt" for much else. The stainless looks cooler as well.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Got a Totally Stainless kit with my 81. Quality looks great. Glad it came with the Jeep, it's pricey.

I'd use grade 8 for suspension mounts, engine mounts, roll bar, and bumper mountings. Grade 5 everywhere else.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Get yourself a range of 5/16"-18 and 3/8"-16 to cover 90% of what you'll need. The 7/16"-14 for the suspension and 7/16"-20 for the seatbelts get individually. I ended up fitting everything up with GR5 and pretty much replaced it with SS button heads. I did use GR8 on steering and suspension. Find you a local nut house and get to know those guys. Stay clear of Fastenal as they will rape you, google up something local you'll meet some knowledgeable people, share your build and save a few bucks along the way.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
^x2^
One good resource I had found is a Tractor Supply store.
They have a great selection of GR5 & GR8 hardware. It has been awhile since I've been there, but their prices were very reasonable.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Yep, tractor supply sells bolts by the lb, including GR8. Ace Hardware here sells GR5 by the lb as well.

If you go to any big box stores or fastenall you will get mauled.

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Anyone know where to get the sleeves that goes inside the frame for added support at various locations? i need a few....

CJocho

CJ-8 Member
City
CHICAGO
State
Il
Totally Stainless sells a button kit and hex kit. Anyone know which of the two is closer to a stock look?