• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement Electrical Harness

ispear

City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Hello,

I about to start the restoration process on my '81 Scrambler with the 4.2L straight-six. One of the main items on my list is to replace the electrical harness. The original insulation on the wires cracks off just by touching them. I've done a little research and have found options anywhere from low $200 to over $1,800. Does anyone have a recommendation for a harness source?

Thanks again for the help!

-Isaac

RockTractor

Basic User
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
I have always liked Painless. I have installed three of them and they are well made and truly 'painless" to install.

laffman

CJ-8 Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
Another vote for Painless. I'm just getting to the electrical in my restoration project and can't believe how easy Painless makes it. The harness is setup great, labeling is great both individual wires' printed description and wire group labels. And the manual is just outstanding. You just don't see that attention to detail anymore. If you go with Painless, read the manual several times and make all your notes in it. Even the direct CJ replacement harness is not 100% plug and play because of the different parts used in different model years. But the manual explains in detail what modifications you need to do for your specific year.

ispear

City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to head that direction.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Another one to look at is Centech out of Pennsylvania. No experience with them(I first knew of them 25 years ago as they were making harnesses in a garage next to my friend from high school. They have since moved to a different location)

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Painless for the win. However you will see that they have the more expensive terminated ends kit that is plug and play. They also have a cheaper kit that you have to do the final terminations. It’s not worth the savings in my opinion.

EDIT: as stated below as well - aftermarket gauges are easy to add in to the Painless full kit - I also have Speedhut.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Nope, get the full Painless kit. It is really well designed to just plug right in.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Not that it's needed but +1 for the full Painless kit. I have it ready to go in my project and I laid it out and went through the instructions (which are the most thorough I've ever seen). It was super easy to modify to work with my Speedhut gauges as well. I also got their ground strap and battery cable kits.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've got all speedhut too and I second their fitment with those gauges. I was truly impressed with how in-depth their instructions were, taking into account almost all variations one can think of.

jeepman1@cfu.ne

Basic User
City
cedar falls
State
ia
yep yep all above is true plus painless offers an assortment of add-on accessory kits in just about any use size you want to fill those needs .And if your like a lot of us ,you will add on . hehehehe .

STSFCTN

City
Centennial
State
CO
But if you are using the Speed Hut gauges and going with a late model fuel injected engine is the Painless worth the price? Most kits come with the GM turn signal/ ignition adapter.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
But if you are using the Speed Hut gauges and going with a late model fuel injected engine is the Painless worth the price? Most kits come with the GM turn signal/ ignition adapter.
I've got speed hut gages and a fuel injected 351 with an AX15 and the painless wiring harness was worth every penny to me.